Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Steering issue...1997 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2011, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue...1997 Silverado

Here is my story. I have changed the steering wheel speed sensor...the power steering pump with a new EVO valve...the steering box...Idler arm...and pitman arm...the steering is very stiff when turning all the time...the only thing that i can think of is when i was filling up the pump i ran out of power steering fluid and topped it off with transmission fluid...has anyone had this issue before...I am at my wits end with this truck...any suggestions are greatly appreciated..
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Im having same problem on my 00 silverado Ive replaced the pump twice, the gear box, the pitman and idler arm, adjusted the preload on the gear box (you might try that if you havnt done it yet), greased every grease fitting i could find, and its still stiff. since you are saying it is stiff all the time, I would try adjusting the pre-load on the gear box. There is a lock nut with a set screw on top of the gear box right near the fan shroud. raise the front wheels off the ground, loosen the nut while holding the set screw with an allen key, and turn the set screw out to make it less stiff and in to make it more stiff, then re-tighten the lock nut. Only do a half a turn at a time and then go test drive, to check it. If you turn it out too far the wheel will be too easy to turn and it will not straighten out when your coming out of a turn. HOWEVER, if you put it too far in, you will ruin your gear box!! If that doesnt fix it and you find some other solution let me know!!
Old October 9th, 2011, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Do yourself a favor...don't buy a reman pump or gearbox they are junk...go to the junk yard and get a oem pump and gear box...I did that and now my truck steers like a million bucks...