Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Locking differential

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2010, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking differential

I have an 06 Silverado with a locking differential that is locking up once in a while when I turn. The tires will skid like an ATV with a solid axle. Does anyone know what causes this and more important how to fix it?
Old January 10th, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it aftermarket, or is it stock?
Old January 10th, 2010, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

It's stock.
Old January 10th, 2010, 8:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey sidewinder,
is a 15,25,or 3500? i have a 1500 and i took it to the snow last winter up by tahoe. i was coming back down the mountain and i heard a clicking noise sounding like it was coming from the rear end. i took it to the dealer and the service manager told me i have a detroit locker in it. meaning that it keeps both rear wheels at the same constant speed. so hope this helps. good luck
Old January 10th, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

It's a 1500. The build sheet on it just says G80-locking rear differential.It has 3.42 gear ratio.
Old January 11th, 2010, 4:06 AM
CF Active Member

That seems to be a normal thing with the G80
Ive noticed in both of mine they seem to lock in around corners quite a bit, especially after getting off the highway.
The one in my 92 did the same thing.
It seems to get less and less with more miles on them.
Old May 17th, 2010, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I have an 06 Silverado with a locking differential that is locking up once in a while when I turn. The tires will skid like an ATV with a solid axle. Does anyone know what causes this and more important how to fix it?
I have a 2007 Silverado with the same problem. The "rear locking differential" should automatically engage whenever one of the rear wheels spins considerably faster than the other. When the lock activates, the two rear wheels are locked together like an ATV.

What is wrong here is that as soon as this mechanism detects that the load on the two axles is back to normal, it should automatically disengage, but it does not.

That is the problem. The "rear locking differential" does not disengage when back to normal. This can damage the rear differential or break one of the axles is the truck is sufficiently loaded.

It can also make you lose control of your truck by causing its rear to skid. This can be very dangerous if you are taking a curve at high speed and the pavement is wet (like in the highway). The failure of "rear locking differential" to disengage will cause one of the rear tires to lose its grip on the road loading all the centrifugal force on the other tire.

I still have to take my truck to the dealer to "try" to get this fixed, but I can see their answer already: "Your truck is within factory parameters".

Well, at least I want to set some precedent in case the worse happens.

If you took your truck to the dealer, could you let me know how it went?

Last edited by dyma82; May 17th, 2010 at 1:24 PM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks dyma, it seems to be getting better.I'll let you know if there is any change.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 99 suburban with the G80 that I'm working on right now for the same problem. I tore it apart to find a single tooth broke off the gear on the driver's side axle gear. Needing help myself I have just about everything pulled out but the gear itself. I just need to remove the two locking pieces running across the larger opening in the case to get the gear out. Does anyone know what the trick is here? Much appreciated as this is our only vehicle right now.
Old September 9th, 2011, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Sidewinder, I have had the same problem with the non - unlocking rear diff on my 2010 Chevrolet (30K miles). I have taken my truck to the dealer and had EVERY part in the rear end replaced TWICE. Did it again this morning on my way to work, I haven't found a fix as of yet. I am taking it BACK to the dealership this weekend will report as soon as possible.

Last edited by Colter.Pesek; September 9th, 2011 at 8:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Locking differential