Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at a 2008 Silverado w/ 6.0 litre... Oil pressure question..

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2011, 7:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2008 Silverado w/ 6.0 litre... Oil pressure question..

It has the guage and it really stays around or just under 40 most of the time even on the highway at 70mph. My 2004 always was way over. Are the guages very accurate? It has 35,200 miles on it. Also when you flick the dashboard changer into 4 wheel drive is there supposed to be any light on the instrument panel lighting up for 4X4 like on my 2004 which had the floor shifter instead?

Thanks...

G..
Old December 22nd, 2011, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guvner, not sure about the oil pressure but if it has the 4wd **** on the dash like mine then no only the **** itself lights up in 4wd...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 Silverado with the 6.0, oil pressure is usually just over 40 and never over 50. At idle with a warmed up motor, under 40 is usual. 4x4 should have a LED to light up on the button when acivated. Try taking it to some dirt, put in 4 hi and see if it's engaging.

Oil pressue can be affected depending on what viscocity of oil you're using.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> guvner,

Good luck with the new purchase!

Oil pressure may vary with engine speed, outside temperature and oil viscosity, but if readings are outside the normal operating range, the oil pressure light will come on.

Yes, there should be a 4WD indicator light on the instrument panel.

4WD Indicator Light example on page 2-36 of the manual.

Instrument Panel Cluster example on page 3-38
The 4WD light is located to the right of the RPM text.

For your reference, this information is also available in the owner's manual. A digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...-Silverado.pdf

I hope this information is helpful! If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 27th, 2011, 8:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default UPDATE: Correction

I must apologize; my last post may have been incorrect, depending on the vehicle. Thank you BIGGG11CHEVY for pointing out my error. The 4WD light may appear on the instrument panel, however, it depends if the vehicle has an electric or floor shift. If it is electric, it will show on the ****, not on the instrument panel.

Owner's manual reference, pages 5-29, 9-50, 9-54 and 9-55: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...1silverado.pdf

I apologize if I may have caused any confusion. Again, thank you BIGGG11CHEVY for the correction.

Louis
GM Customer Service