Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

looking to buy this 98 chevy k1500

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2014, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy this 98 chevy k1500

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/ctd/4343826495.html Hi, currently looking at this truck, the guy says he will take $6800 for it but im wondering if you guys think its a good deal? What are common problems with this year of truck? thanks
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the truck looks like it is in good shape. Has it been kept in a garage? I see that it is located in Buffalo NY, I take you live in the northeast also and familiar with rust being the main issue for vehicles due to road conditions.

My main concerns would be:

1. Rust on the undercarriage and body.
2. Drive train, engine and transmission. Some of the seals and gaskets could be in less than desirable condition due to the age of them.
3. Proper preventive maintenance being performed. Was the oil changed in a timely manner? Look at the air filter and see if it dirty, if so then the vehicle may not have had filters and lubricant changed in a while.
4. Fluids in the axles, here again due to the age and the low mileage there is the possibility of water in the axles, either from condensation or driving the truck through deep water.
5. Previous mechanical work done on the vehicle, as we all know some "mechanics" perform repairs better than others, if the previous owner did not have a good mechanic perform repairs correctly then there could be some issues with any repairs that may have been done.

The truck looks good from the pictures in the ad. Keep us updated on if you purchase the truck and if so how it does.
Old March 21st, 2014, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardx2
Well the truck looks like it is in good shape. Has it been kept in a garage? I see that it is located in Buffalo NY, I take you live in the northeast also and familiar with rust being the main issue for vehicles due to road conditions.

My main concerns would be:

1. Rust on the undercarriage and body.
2. Drive train, engine and transmission. Some of the seals and gaskets could be in less than desirable condition due to the age of them.
3. Proper preventive maintenance being performed. Was the oil changed in a timely manner? Look at the air filter and see if it dirty, if so then the vehicle may not have had filters and lubricant changed in a while.
4. Fluids in the axles, here again due to the age and the low mileage there is the possibility of water in the axles, either from condensation or driving the truck through deep water.

5. Previous mechanical work done on the vehicle, as we all know some "mechanics" perform repairs better than others, if the previous owner did not have a good mechanic perform repairs correctly then there could be some issues with any repairs that may have been done.

The truck looks good from the pictures in the ad. Keep us updated on if you purchase the truck and if so how it does.
thanks for the reply, yes it is very hard to find a truck up in nys with low miles and little rust. the guy just told me the truck needs new brake pads and the abs brake sensors need to be cleaned because the abs light is on. Im debating if i should pull the trigger on this truck or go look down south in virginia or north carolina for a better deal. do you think that $6800 is a good deal for a truck of this age?
Old March 21st, 2014, 3:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question, just went to the Kelley Blue Book site and entered what info I could from the ad and pictures and in excellent condition that site has the value at $5596. Personally, if the truck checks out good as far as rust and everything else I would try and buy it. Of course I would try and get it at the lowest possible price by negotiating with the owner.

But you have to make the choice and at the end of the day if you are happy then that is what matters, we all have different opinions that is what makes the world go round.