Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for information for my '93 silverado.

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2013, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Looking for information for my '93 silverado.

Hey guys, Chris here.

##Start Story - You can skip this if you want, but it may help in answering my questions.##
I've got my handy-dandy 5.7L 1993 Silverado sitting in my drive-way, and it hasn't moved more than 50 miles in the last year. It's sitting at 324,xxx miles on the frame. The engine was replaced with a brand-spanking new 5.7L Crate about 4,000 miles ago.

Since then I had a transmission go out and had to keep it at fairly high RPM to get it to even move, sadly there was no way around this at the time. I was running about 2300RPM the rest of the way home (About 30minutes @ 35MPH)
I had to make it last a bit longer before I could get it into the shop, (About another 50 miles) and I was very gentle with it, I attempted to never get within 500RPM of red-line(3050 RPM).. The truck started losing water at that time (About 20 miles in) and we filled her up, took her to the nearest mechanic and had the transmission replaced
## End of story, useful information above ##

The truck was IS moking from the exhaust and when I say smoking... It's ridiculous, It's almost like having 19 fog-makers welded onto the back of my truck, and turning them all onto max.. It wont do it unless I've been idling for a few minutes, or at a long stop-light, but once you drive a little bit (Not even a mile) and blow it all away, it's ignored.

The truck loses water rather it's on or off. If you poor water into the radiator, you can watch air bubble up from it and the water level slowly, but constantly decreases. It's not going into the oil, and it's not flooding the block from what we can tell. We've let it empty out 4 radiator fulls and then tried to start'er up, and it turned over in less than a second, like usual. Drove just fine. It hasn't been smoking recently since the transmission replacement, but we don't drive it because we can't keep water in it.

I can't find where the water is going, I can't find any leaks, it's not mixing with the oil. The truck is not burning oil. It's just... Magic, for lack of a better word.

^^If you have any idea what may be causing this, let me know. We fear it's a blown head-gasket... and we're praying it's not.

Questions:
  • How much would a new cooling system for a '93 run, to purchase the parts (Thermo, Sensors, Radiator, Hoses, Water-pump)
  • What's the best web-site to purchase the above from?
  • What do you think is wrong with the truck
Old September 16th, 2013, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No replies in 48 hours, bumping.
Old September 17th, 2013, 7:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a head gasket to me... did it ever get hot?

you say it was puking water on the way to the shop because you were running high rev's but low speed, did you happen to notice the temp?

again knee jerk is you've ate up a headgasket.

the smoke, whiteish smoke? (headgasket)
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey there Christian. Tucker,

welcome to the Chevy Forums.

You said "crate engine", was it a short block?

It may be as simple as a new head gasket set,

but you may need to either get your heads shaved,

if they are warped, or replace them with rebuilds.

What does a compression test give you?