Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Loose Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Steering Column

I have a 90 silverado. I have tended to love the tilt wheel -- using it about every time I get in and out of the truck. Now, the place where the column tilts is incredibly loose. The steering wheel is not, it is the break in the column, the tilt. It is only getting worse and worse. Did I wear out some sort of bushing in there or something. Anybody know. Please help me out.

Thanks
dan
Old June 2nd, 2006, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loose Steering Column

Your problem is a common one for GM vehicles, and an easy fix with the right tools. You have to remove the steering wheel and pull out the turn signal switch first. Then remove the Torx head bolts that hold the bowl on and pull it up to reveal the pivots. Remove the return spring cup at the bottom of the unit by putting a screwdriver into the small square hole and turn about 1/4 turn left to release. Then, you remove the pivots (this is best done with a special puller, or you can use a screw that fits the threaded holes and vise grips to try and pull them out). With the pivot pins out, pull the housing up to reveal the base. There are 4 inverted torx head bolts around the shaft that need to be tightened (they can be tightened with a 1/4" socket. Tighten the bolts and reassemble. If you're uncomfortable with all this, you should get a mechanic friend to do it for you (should take about 30 minutes). Good Luck and God Bless,
Tommy