Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Losing power

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2012, 5:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Losing power

Hi my name is nick and i have tried posting this once already and had no luck and so i figure i might as well try again. Alright my truck is a 1997 silverado k1500 with the 350 vortec it is a 5 speed manual. The other day the first day of the new year it started acting like there was some ice in my fuel lines so i put in some gas line anti freeze and filled the truck up but it didnt help so i then replaced my fuel filter and it was the same thing. it will idle good and drives ok but if you get on the gas just a little too fast it lugs down and almost dies or if you let it idle for like 15 minutes while you run into the auto parts store it dies when you try to leave and takes some time and sweet talkin to get it to start again. Yesterday i took the new fuel filter off and drained it into a mason jar and let it settle and there was maybe a 16th of an inch of water on top. Im not getting a check engine light so im wondering if my fuel is just bad and if ill have to dump it. if anyone has any ideas on what it could be id love to know this one really has me stumped.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and or offer an idea.

Last edited by nkh34; January 5th, 2012 at 5:27 PM. Reason: copy and paste
Old January 5th, 2012, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone will pull codes for free. See what they come up with. Water would be at the bottom and gas on the top.
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

My 5.0 did the exact same thing. I replaced just about everything before I got on here and had the most helpful advice I have ever had in my life. Check your fuel pressure and make sure it is within the range of your Haynes or Chilton. I don't remember off the top of my head what mine was supposed to be so lets just say the book said mine was supposed to be 55-58 PSI. Well my pump was pushing 50psi and I had all the symptoms you described. Replaced the pump and haven't had a problem since! I am in no way saying you should just go out and replace the pump, but hopefully this helps you out man.
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:47 PM
CF Active Member

Will water come up on the scaner because thats the only thing i can think of its been around 15 to 20 degrees in the morning and all i run is shell fuel as does everyone in my family but im wondering if the O ring at the top of my fuel pump went bad or was installed wrong that the only explination i can think of but thank you for your help
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Actually as a matter of fact the first time I installed that fuel pump it didn't fix it so I pulled it out and put it right back in and then it worked lol I must have messed something up and if I remember right it was in there a little bit crooked or something.
Old January 8th, 2012, 4:26 PM
CF Active Member

Alright so today i went and was trying to fix it again a friend suggested a clogged cat so i got down under it and tapped the catts with a hammer the drivers side one blew out a little bunch of black chips that i figure were just resin of some sort and tried reving it a bit to get more out and nothing but afterward there was a smell that smelled like fireworks/sulpher i dont know if this helps but any ideas are better then what i have now. i dont believe the cat is clogged but is there anyway of checking it aside frome gutting it
thanks Nick
Old January 9th, 2012, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

This morning i took my truck to a freind/mechanic he tried to pull codes and nothing came up he tested a few things that were possible and then did some testing on the fuel pump and go figure that that is what is wrong my pump isnt pumping right at all. i just replaced the fuel pump in july so napa gave me a new one but the record so far is one didnt work at all and one worked for 4 months im gonna replace it during tomorrow and the next day and let everyone know if that was the problem
thanks for all the help espeacialy phrogs for life i just ruled the pump out since i recently replaced it dumb move on my part

Last edited by nkh34; January 9th, 2012 at 4:12 PM.
Old January 9th, 2012, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the pump is a Delphi or AcDelco they have a extremely high failure rate in the first year.
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CF Active Member

What happened is when we put the first one in it was no good so my brother made sure the second one worked first when it did he just put it in the tank and put it back in place so the hose beween my pump and sending unit came off so all the gas i was getting was just from the motor pullin it in so i tightened the hose clamps and put the tank back in and she ran fine again i put a serpantine belt on it old one was really old and changed the oil and i think this is the best its ran in the last 5 years
sorry that it was a stupid mistake but thanks for all the help
Old January 14th, 2012, 9:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that it's fixed. We all make mistakes. Thanks for the update.