Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Loud clunk in driveline, 2007 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2012, 1:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. when i could come to a stop its liek some one kinda hit me from behind. If i would manually downshift it would not do it. I brought it to my father in laws transmission shop and he rebuilt the transmission. He said something about a sprag. I paid 1400 to have it rebuilt and its like new.
Old September 24th, 2012, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default chevy silverado cluck-kicking motion

I just got my yoke replace as the direct result of a clunking resulting into a broken weld on the yoke itself. the result of a clunk from the back, moved into the drive line to actually making a kicking back motion right at the yoke connecting to the transfer case. I had it fixt under warranty, however just buying time again until next time. I had a feeling that i also share with Gm there is a cause of this problem and they say its normal because of the 6 speed transmission. GM reply- There is to many gears angaging and disangaging. I call bull****t, I think there is a flaw, and that could result into a major call back to fixt it. Now |I dont think ever happen
They should be exposed for missinforming peoples like me, that just bought a new truck and stuck with a noise that will never go away.
Never again GM could kiss my *** and will make sure that I WILL NEVER A WANNA BE TRUCK
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bobino
Hi there! I just bought a 2011 silverado 1500, 5.3 lt. Its a automatic tranny with a manual 6 speed (touch of a button). I heard the same clunking kicking motion coming from the back. At one point of time, it was coming from beneat me(under between passger and driver seat). Brought it back to dealler to be charge 117.65 for a miss diagnose. Just did first oil change and was told to bring it back to gm asap. At a different Gm place got told that yoke is mangle and were its connecting to transfer case is grease everywhere arround shaft. Warranty is covering it , but the issue will always resurface because according to Gm its normal for the kicking motion. Belleive it Gm as never fixt that problem and if I would of known would of never buy a Siverado crap. Dam I wish they of told me that before I signed the contract.
Oh well, my next truck surely wont be A LEMON FROM GM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> bobino,

I'm sorry you experienced this issue with your vehicle. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? If so, would you please PM me the SR# so I can look into this further for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 18th, 2013, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Will this cause damage on my 2007 new body?
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to the Forum and very disappointed by the frequency of "CLUNK" reports. My 2012 Silverado 4x4 LTZ has what's been diagnosed as the "CLUNK" and witnessed as a JOLT and SLAM. Every driving condition produces it. Absolutely nothing has been attempted to repair the defect. I'll mention the lubricant bandage next time its in for service. Also, do these forum comments every yield more than an apology from customer service? I'm beginning to wonder if GM may be encouraging its most faithful customers to try a FORD.
Old October 25th, 2014, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apologies

I've read through several postings of the "CLUNK" drivetrain phenomena. I've received a message from a Customer Service representative seemingly apathetic assurance of concern. There was a suggestion of direct contact being one personal communication away. Unfortunately, the immediately following link, or what appears as a link, takes one to an advertisement.

How does one get an audience with a Texas licensed Professional Engineer at GM/Chevrolet that can confirm or deny any corrective actions, any risk to owners and passengers, and or whether this "CLUNK" is found in GMC vehicles, as well?

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Old December 29th, 2016, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue with my 2009 Tahoe LT.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> bobino,

I'm sorry you experienced this issue with your vehicle. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? If so, would you please PM me the SR# so I can look into this further for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I am Having this very same issue with my 2009 Tahoe LT.
Old December 31st, 2016, 9:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Default GM "Special Lube"

Clean the front spline and get some GM lube PN. 1#12345879. Apply a thin coat to the yoke spline. Cured my "clunk" on 2 different Chevy Silverados.