Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Major OIL leak intake manifold/head gasket on 2005 5.3 Z71

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Major OIL leak intake manifold/head gasket on 2005 5.3 Z71

Subject: 2005 1500 5.3 Vortec 4 Wheel Dr. Silverado Z71

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Oil is spraying under the intake manifold on the valley plate between the heads

Hello,
I posted a few times here, but nothing like this. My engine has been leaking oil for a while. Now I opened up the hood to see oil all over the top of engine. Could this be a cracked head? What are the symptoms?

Oil in the valley leading to the intake manifold, which is also covered with oil.

Sounds like a major problem. it runs smooth, one would NEVER know this was happening, and I'm not sure if this was caught early, or now I'm in Big trouble. Any advice on what this oil means all over the top of engine? I would appreciate any replies or suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by HeavyChevyTom; July 23rd, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen alot of threads about oil consumption with the 5.3, but not really anything like this. i think you might have a big problem. im not sure where the oil pressure sensor is on these engines, but i know some of the older gm small blocks had them on the back of the intake manifold. i even had one break once and oil leaked out everywhere you could imagine. i actually thought it was the transmission leaking...

maybe try and clean it up best you can and try to locate any damage...hopefully its not something that only leaks once the engine is hot and you can find it..
Old July 25th, 2012, 9:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking the same thing. Oil pressure sensor. Seems to be the highest part that has enough oil pressure to spray it everywhere. Check the back of your fire wall and see if its covered in oil. Try power washing you engine to clean off the old oil and run it. Should have no problem finding that kind of leak. Look toward the back of the fire wall for oil pissing out. Have somebody rev up the engine while you look around motor. Im guessing your oil pressure gauge isnt reading low pressure. good luck!