Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

My 4x4 Silverado/Cadillac/General Lee Project

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2006, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 4x4 Silverado/Cadillac/General Lee Project

Hi everyone. I have a 1975 K/20 Silverado 4x4. The truck was 50/50 Hugger/Hemi Orange when I bought it. That color woke up the little mouse on the exercise wheel in my head (he turned it about 3 times and went back to sleep) and got me thinking that it would be fun to make my truck into a General Lee. I will outline for you what I've already done, what I plan to do, and keep you updated as I do new things. Ok, lets start with what I already did....

-Bone stock at purchase
-Added 4" lift kit
-Added LUND fiberglass Visor and Fastback (They give it a more car-like appearence)
-Had original bench seat re-upholstered
-Have installed and hooked up up 4' whip-style CB antenna to my CB (Np, I did NOT drill the dash to mount the CB)
-Have begun construction on a scaled-up General Lee push-bar
-Have also begun constructing a non-functional interior rollbar from spare exhaust pipe

What I plan to do next:

-Have located several local 500ci Cadillac engines
-Planning a transmission swap from TH-350 to a manual 4-speed
-I have drawn up and cut out several "01" stencils to try to fit the door correctly
-New rocker panels and bed
-I've already ordered a 12-note Dixie Horn
-I will be painting the "01" on the doors, but do not know if I will paint, or decal the rebel flag
-Instead of "General Lee" being lettered above the doors, I plan on lettering the words "The Duke"

I would really love some suggestions on what transmission I should mate with the 500, since Cadillac never used a standard shift with it. I was thinking something along the lines of an older Muncie. (M20, M21, M22) If memory serves those were used on many of the 427s and 454s, and I figured the stress would be comparable.

I welcome input from the rest of the Chevy community on my General Lee/Cadillac/4x4 project. That is, of course, unless your input is "You stupid redneck, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Drink some more beer and enjoy the next Nascar event." ( I say that because the last forum I shared this project with used those words, verbatum, to describe how the felt about it.
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 4x4 Silverado/Cadillac/General Lee Project

sounds cool to me sinse the car im racing is a saturn painted hemi orange. and my buddys vw is plum crasy. as for your ride can i use it for a tow truck it would match my car. lol for the motor your plam=ning on using i would save the truble of changing from auto to stick and just use the caddy tranny with a shift kit in it. if you get the right kit you can shift it manualy all the time anyway you just dont have the clutch to play with.