Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2011, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!

I am new here. I have posted before but didnt get much response. I am at wits end. I have a 92 c1500 5.7 TBI that I just installed. I have it timed to 0. But..... it will die while idling, when I am running down the road and take my foot off gas, it will act like it is starving and I have the peddel the gas. I have checked everything I know off. I replaced the fuel filter the other day. New wires, rotor, cap and plugs. Installed a new IAC. Check engine will sometimes come on, but then goes off. I dont know where to look anymore. Any, and I mean any help would be appreciated big time. Thanks so much
Old November 29th, 2011, 1:20 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time the engine light goes on get the code, sounds like a timing advance issue or or an electrical problem. but the code will point it in a better direction.
Old November 29th, 2011, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

I was watching my volt meter this morning, and it keep flucuating. It runs on the line before the red. I am starting to think its electrical. Any thoughts?
Old December 7th, 2011, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Ok update. I have since changed the fuel pump. It starts better now and idles (most of the time). But still is boggy when stomping on gas running down the road. And it seems to be running rich? Tail pipes are black. I am going to pull plugs tonight. Was thinking its maybe ignition module, or coil maybe? Thoughts?
Old December 7th, 2011, 6:19 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a electrical part or wire somewhere is bad/worn out or shorted, if could be alot of things, hard to diagnose this one online without more specifics like codes.
Old December 12th, 2011, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Well i finally got it figured out this weekend. I replaced the fuel pump(it was old), rebuilt the presure regulator, installed a new TPS but still not right. Turns out, it was a clogged vacuume line to the map sensor. replaced it with some 1/4 line and purrrrrs like a kitten. just thought I would post what I found so maybe it will help someone else with similar issues.