Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

I have a 2007 silverardo Z71 4x4 LTZ with a 6.0 vortec max. The truck has 105K on it. Runs great. The oil pressure gauge starts to drop after about 50 miles into a trip. It falls all the way to zero and sets off the alarms on the dash. There is no lifter tap or knocking at all the truck seems fine. I replaced the oil sending unit about 2 weeks ago and thought all was well. The problem has returned. Any help would be great.

Last edited by mferrall; February 13th, 2012 at 8:22 PM. Reason: cant type
Old February 13th, 2012, 7:37 PM
CF Active Member

50K mile trips??!! No wonder pressure is dropping off, you're probably running into the ocean. Haha
Old February 14th, 2012, 5:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mferrall,

The oil pressure sensor may be causing the problem. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 14th, 2012, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue happen once to me, and believe it or not, I was about a qt short on oil after an oil change. I put in a quart and the problem went away...I wouldn't have thought it would drop pressure to 0 but it did.
Old February 20th, 2012, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

The oil is dead on full on the dipstick. I was told it could be in the cluster. I know the old body style trucks had cluster problem not sure about the new ones. Its driving me nuts!