Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2013, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Last Monday. Lost the transmission(4L60) in my 2004 Silverado Z71. Had it rebuilt at a local company. Got it back tonight. Was charged a load of money. Got home. And noticed at low speeds a grinding noise. I know it's not my wheel bearings or alignment. Anything possible wrong with the trans? Should I take it back in? Or try something else. They replaced solenoids, TC, and a complete rebuilt kit. The truck does drive totally different with this new transmission and does shift fairly hard. But not bad. Any info helps. Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:36 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Did they replace the Ujoints, if they reused the old ones they could be the problem....
you might try shifting into neutral while rolling and see if the sound changes or goes away...
Do you hear it in reverse, at all speeds, might also try manually shift through gear range...
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

take it back ASAP and tell them about your grinding noise. The noise will have to be isolated to determine where its coming from.

The hard shifting could be from not resetting the transmission adaptive settings. If the hard shifting does not correct itself in 2 or 3 days of driving its not the adaptive settings.

IMO getting a GM rebuilt certa trans (rebuilt in a factory) in most cases is better than a trans shop rebuild.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. And it only happens at slow speeds. Below 15. They did reuse UJoints. It does happen in reverse. It's hard for me to pinpoint it from being inside it. But I have it narrowed down to the front end. My first thought was the transmission. But thinking now. I had the truck towed. It does have a RCD long arm suspension lift. He chained it to the front crossmember. The weirdest thing is. I started hearing it at a stop. But it slowly goes away once stopped.

The hard shift is only first to second. The rest are smooth as butter. If it doesn't get better. I will return it.
Old December 26th, 2013, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hard shift has gotten better. Grinding noise now comes when in park, and when turning. Also new problem. Push button 4wheel is showing in Neutral???
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you have a transfer case encoder motor problem. That is what the grind noise is. The motor is not fully moving into position.

if you were to unplug and remove the encoder motor and move the shift nut with a wrench...I bet the noise will be gone.

The good part is; your trans is ok.