Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help ASAP

96 Chev 1500 5.0, was replacing the heater core and the two lines today. When I went to remove the quick disconnect male end that goes into the engine just behind the thermostat it broke off inside... I tried using vice grips to twist what was left and it broke off, so then I used a bolt extractor and it just dug the edges to where I am nervous that I will ruin the threads... So now I have this stupid piece broke off in my engine so thin I can't use a bolt extractor. Does anyone know what I should do now? I am fresh out of ideas besides attempting to tap and die the original threads into it, but then I risk dropping all of that crap into my cooling system.... Help please help!
Old January 6th, 2012, 3:49 AM
CF Active Member

Coat the tap with heavy grease. The grease will trap and hold the metal bits it creates. Go slowly and clean and regrease the tap about every 2 or 3 threads. I had the same thing happen on my 1990 and this process worked well for me. Good luck .\
Old January 7th, 2012, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah I just tapped it then made a redneck contraption for my vacuum and sucked out all the crap from inside the intake manifold, anyways I'm actually about to try all the craziness I had to pull to put this aftermarket homemade piece into my truck.