Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

NEED HELP Power Widows circuit breaker and 4wheel drive

Old November 12th, 2012, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP Power Widows circuit breaker and 4wheel drive

I own a 97' Z71 and yesterday my girlfriend was driving my truck and both power windows quit working, I traded out the circuit breaker in my fuse panel for the power windows with the identicle one from the power accessories and was successful at getting the windows to go up about an inch or two so I rolled it back down just trying to make sure they work and after they went back down I couldn't get then to do anything else. When taking out the circuit breakers from their power windows slot they were so hot to the touch that you couldn't hold it and this doesn't seem right to me. Any suggetstions? Also, I have manual four wheel drive in the floor and cannot get it to engage, every time I try it blows the fuse marked 4x4, I have never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle before but do not understand how the manual four wheel drive would have anything electric, aany help would be appreciated, also one last thing, I was curious what would be the largest set of tires I could get for my truck without rubbing, bone stock by the way, and don't want to modify the suspension at all, no cranking or anything. Thanks for any help.
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Also I have already ordered a new circuit breaker, hoping this will solve the problem, but any ideas are welcome.
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Sounds like you need to check out all wires because they are either exposed or not grounded good enough and thats why you are getting all that heat
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

thank you, i did a once over yesterday but didn't see anything, I will do a more thorough check today
Old November 12th, 2012, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Just figured out that the power windows have a 20 amp circuit breaker and is supposed to be running a 30 amp, should this solve my problems for the power windows
Old November 12th, 2012, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

looking like i have a short, aside from an obvious contact somewhere i don't know where to start searching or how to check, any advice?