Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Need help - rubbing/grinding sound from drivers side tire

Old July 22nd, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need help - rubbing/grinding sound from drivers side tire

Guys~
First off, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, 1500, 2WD LT. It has the 4.8L engine with an automatic transmission.
I am at wits end here. I started getting a rubbing/grinding sound comming from what I believe to be my drivers side tire when I turn to the right about 6 months ago. About a month ago, the sound was serious enough that I decided to check it out. So I put the truck on the lift, noticed that the rotors were heavily rusted and the brake pads worn. Pulled the rotors and pads off both front sides, and replaced them. Put the truck back down...drove it, and I got the grinding/rubbing sound again from the drivers side tire...still more pronounced when I turn to the right. Put it back on the lift...suspected the hub/wheel bearing assembly. Bought a new Timkin bearing assembly...installed it, and drove the truck home. Have the same rubbing/grinding sound comming from the drivers side wheel. Sound is still more pronounced when I turn to the right.
When I installed the brake pads, I noticed that the inside pad seems to NOT slide smoothly on the brake caliper bracket. Is this normal? Could this be the cause of the rubbing/grinding sound..i.e the brake pads dragging? But why the sound whe I turn right?
Am I barking up the wrong tree???? Only items I have not replaced are the calipers and caliper brackets. I installed all new hardware when I changed the pads/rotors...so that can be ruled out. Again, I have that issue with the inside pads not moving freely...even with the new hardware.
Any help/ideas you can provide would really help me out here...I am at wits end....I just can't justify bringing it to the dealer when I cna do the work myself.....
- Brian
Old July 22nd, 2010, 6:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a sticky caliper. pull the caliper off, clean the bolts and the slide area on caliper, use a good moly grease on bolts. this will help the calipers to return after braking.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Maxx...I thought so too....so I pulled them and greased the crap out of the banjo bolts....perhaps that will help....
Is that inside pad supposed to be able to slide in the stainless steel shims? I have tried EVERYTHING to make mine do that...but they just won't...outside do just fine....Are they supposed to be this way? Thanks for the quick reply!
- Bri
Old July 22nd, 2010, 8:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, you're inside pad is supposed to slide on hardware. or the pad stays where it is while the piston pushes against it and causing the outer pad to be pulled in like a push pull motion. how many miles are on it? it may be time for a caliper rebuild kit or a new caliper.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 9:02 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pad should move freely on the bracket. You may need to file the pad some.Also you should put some grease between the pad and the bracket. That could be your noise. You may want to take a good look at the backing plate (dust shield) if it is too close to the rotor it will rub when turning. What you are describing is exactly when a backing plate rubs.