Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

blown cat

Old August 23rd, 2010, 4:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown cat

I recently installed new headers on my truck and surprise, surprise, one of my catalytic converters got blown out. However, I was thinking about gutting the cats anyways, so is there anyway I can gut the cats and keep the rear O2 sensors from tripping the check engine light? I think my truck is due for inspection in the spring. It's a 98 5.7L silverado.

Thanks,
Austin
Old August 23rd, 2010, 7:11 PM
CF Junior Member

I was also thinking about getting a tune done by blackbear. I thought I heard that getting a chip or programmer can compensate for the codes that the O2 sensors might throw after doing something like this. So I was wondering if anyone knew if a blackbear tune could do this? Or am I just completely off my rocker here?
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes im sure blackbear could do this, i have never used them,but if it is a custom tune they will make it work, but till then your truck could go lean so watch the temp
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:17 PM
CF Active Member

just have them turn off the rear 1-2 & 2-2 o2 sensors, did that on mine now gotta get the kittys out of there
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What about when you need to get it smogged?
Old August 28th, 2010, 9:45 AM
CF Pro Member

gotta get cats by then obviously
Old August 30th, 2010, 1:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Keeping an eye on the temp might be a little difficult right now though... One of the guys helping me intstall the headers accidentally broke my temp sensor. So I bought a new one, but now the temp guage skyrockets to 260 degrees within a couple minutes of turning the truck on. Speaking of which... anyone know what might be wrong there? I've been asking around, but no one knows why it might be doing that. It's been that way for a few weeks now and it hasn't blown up yet
Old August 30th, 2010, 2:08 AM
CF Pro Member

try a rad cap that has a temp guage (mr gasket is what i have) then you can see if it is accurate or not
Old August 30th, 2010, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by bsballfn172
Keeping an eye on the temp might be a little difficult right now though... One of the guys helping me intstall the headers accidentally broke my temp sensor. So I bought a new one, but now the temp guage skyrockets to 260 degrees within a couple minutes of turning the truck on. Speaking of which... anyone know what might be wrong there? I've been asking around, but no one knows why it might be doing that. It's been that way for a few weeks now and it hasn't blown up yet

you proably have an air pocket on top of th motor, right under the thermostat. These new GM's are bad about that, the water does not get to the thermostat so it never opens. an old hotrod trick that I was taught 20 years ago, is to drill 3 1/8 inch holes in the outer ring next to the formed hole of the thermostat. I will try to remember to post a picture later that will let you fill the block completely up pearge all of the air into the radiator, plus give you a small flow past the thermostat to ensure It sees the hot water! hope this helps P.S. I do this on every thermostat that I install.
Old August 30th, 2010, 4:25 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69
What about when you need to get it smogged?

where I am from, we don't get smogged!! there aint a farmer alive that could get his crops to market if we did!! beins we is 85% farmers in this state ??? go figgure