Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Neutral Safety Switch?

I have a 1995 k1500, 5.7l, auto trans. My intermittent problem is now constant. When I turn the key everything powers up but no cranking and no clicking. Starter was replaced. I can jump across the starter and it starts fine. Thoughts? Neutral Safety Switch? How would I test it?
THANKS!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

after many tries i didnt find out the solution
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM
CF Senior Member

If you are trying to start in Park,try neutral, sometimes this will work on a bad switch. Next would be to jump the switch,for which you will need a wiring diagram or maybe someone can chime in that knows the wire colors. Does your key have a chip in it? I fixed the wifes Buick that was acting this way by scrubbing the key with dish soap and a brush.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Neutral Safety Switch

I have tried starting it in nuetral with no luck. The key does not have a chip in it.

The crazy thing is, shortly after posting my question, the darn thing started right up with the key, and has not missed a beat for two days now. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Thanks for the ideas. I can probably find a wiring diagram if / when it happens again. Do you know where the wires go to that I should be jumping?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
CF Active Member
1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500

i just solved that exact problem i was having with mine, if you go under the hood in the fuse box, the ENG 1 fuse should be blown, try replacing the fuse, it will let you start it, put it in drive and then back in park, shut it off and try to turn it back on, if the fuse is blown again, then its you MLPS (manual lever position switch) aka you neutral safety switch, when the fuse is blown, the park indicator in your cluster shouldnt light up, the neutral safety switch is bolted to the drivers side of your transmission, its like a 14 or 15mm nut to get the linkage off and 2 13mm bolt to get the switch off, ive seen them new for $45 but i went to the junkyard to get mine
Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 PM
CF Active Member
1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH View Post
If you are trying to start in Park,try neutral, sometimes this will work on a bad switch. Next would be to jump the switch,for which you will need a wiring diagram or maybe someone can chime in that knows the wire colors. Does your key have a chip in it? I fixed the wifes Buick that was acting this way by scrubbing the key with dish soap and a brush.
yeah i had to rewire mine because the connectors were stuck in the switch and its a pain, i literally had to cut a wire, soder it and then move to the next, the reason why is because there are 2 green, 2 purple, 3 yellow, 2 pink and 2 black, 11 wires total, and none of them have strips or anything to set them apart from the other same color

Last edited by silverado13; 12-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado13 View Post
yeah i had to rewire mine because the connectors were stuck in the switch and its a pain, i literally had to cut a wire, soder it and then move to the next, the reason why is because there are 2 green, 2 purple, 3 yellow, 2 pink and 2 black, 11 wires total, and none of them have strips or anything to set them apart from the other same color
That works if ur buddy just didnt cut all the wires. How do you tell them apart if they were just cut and left to dangle?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 AM
CF Beginner

need wiring schematic for neutral safety switch 96 c1500 5.7 4l60e
Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Tags
1995, 99, aveo5, chevrolet, chevy, color, diagram, disable, gmt400, neutral, safety, silverado, switch, tahoe, trailblazer, wire, wiring