Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014, 10:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71 Crew Cab

After years of drooling and test driving the Avalanche, Tahoe and Silverado, I finally bit the bullet and signed on the 2014. As you can tell from my name

I'm a bit car/truck crazy. Have built a few hot Chevy motors. Maybe a big block someday....

Previous Chevy(s):
63 Impala 2 door hard top - original blue
53 1/2 ton pick up 5 window cab - 350 4 bolt main with too many sick options to mention 4 speed Muncie, Posi, 3 inch lift, Dick Cepek, flat black
67 Camaro sport coupe that did wheelies (installed motor from previous pickup) - Fire Engine Red
Then 4 Jeeps:
86 Wrangler - Gloss Black
89 Cherokee LTD - Special ordered - Gold Stock Honeycomb mags, Gloss Black Posi and off road package, sun roof - all stock
93 first year for the new Grand Cherokee - special ordered - Red, off road pkg, extra large wheels, posi, sun roof - all stock
2004 Grand Cherokee - Rocky Mountain Edition - Metalic Black, Sun roof - all stock

The kids are grown now so I'm back to a 1/2 ton - only new this time.

So yesterday I bought the new 2014 Silverado LTZ Z7 Crew Cab. Kinda wanted the Black/Ebony but got the Black/Coco instead because it had the A/C seats.
Would have preferred the ceiling mounted DVD but never - ever - would use it so skipped it. Same with the read console radio - again - unlikely anyone would ever use it. Not even sure they are options or could be added - plugged into a harness connector - later?

Other than that the LTZ Z71 seems to have more options than the High Country with the off road and skid package and it was a couple thousand less. If I'm wrong let me know - you won't hurt my feelings. They are installing the 3 fold tonneau cover, chrome running boards, mud flaps and I plan to order the bed rug - hopefull it's the same or better bed rug sold after market and will allow the LED bed side lights to shine through.

I hear there is supposed to be some way to remount the tailgate for a dual level bed? Anyone know what they are talking about there?

Any other suggestions for this rig?

Last edited by mad max; March 9th, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old March 9th, 2014, 1:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like an awesome truck, you will have to post some pictures! As far as the LTZ vs. the High Country - only thing I can tell that is different is the color matched bumpers and different interior color options. And it has more equipment standard that you can also get in the LTZ. Just for the heck of it with the build/price tool online I configured a LTZ on the website then a comparable High Country. With close to the same equipment, the LTZ was a bit less. But I could be wrong as well. Anyway, hope you enjoy that new truck!
Old March 11th, 2014, 8:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Thanks! Got my new baby today. Added the black fiberglass mudflaps with bowtie; the storage tub under the rear seats; and a semi rigid tri folding tonneau cover (hard back underneath the vinyl - I felt this was safer than the more light weight tonneau tri fold with just a few bars going side to side underneath; a knife would have gotten into the other very quickly) - and yes a knife would probably cut the seams in the folds of this one but still feels safer. Probably at least a false sense of security- LOL.
I got the running boards but the don't go back far enough to allow access to the front of the bed. I think I may need the folding step on each side.
I wonder how much current/amps I can draw from the 120vac recepticle and if it blows a fuse or self resetting breaker? Location or overprotection?
I believe it has room fror an extra battery? What's that all about? Just run a couple battery cables from somewhere nearby?
Going to have a lot of questions about the electronics. Wow - it's loaded with electronics!
There looks like there is a round access hole panel near the tow hitch that must open somehow to allow for a wrench from somewhere? to lower the spare tire.
Here are some pics I took when I picked it up today:
Attached Thumbnails New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71-photo-1.jpg   New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71-photo-2.jpg   New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71-photo-3.jpg   New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71-photo-4.jpg  
Old March 11th, 2014, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

mad max very nice truck I should have mine by the end of the month same truck but in deep ruby metallic
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Great! Hope it works out for you. Post pics and keep us updated.
Forgot to mention I got the Chevy Bedrug - has a bowtie up front. Nice rug. Supposed to take dirt and rocks and not stain - hose off and a fold keeps crap out of the tailgate hinge area. Great for camping/sleeping and soft - easy on the knees. Easy to remove if need be too.
19.8mpg average on the way home and I've just started looking at the gauges. I should be able to improve on that when I figure out how to find it's sweet spot
Old March 13th, 2014, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Nice!
Old March 14th, 2014, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Man max does your truck have any vibration at 55-65?
Old March 14th, 2014, 6:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Looking good!
Old March 15th, 2014, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Just came in!!! awesome ride!! Drove it for about 1 hour, took a pic now we just got to hammer out the price LOL
Attached Thumbnails New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71-new-truck-2014.jpg  

Last edited by CCLB4X4Dually; March 15th, 2014 at 2:26 PM.
Old March 17th, 2014, 8:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by CCLB4X4Dually
Man max does your truck have any vibration at 55-65?
Nope. I actually have to be careful not to fall a sleep! That lane departure warning can come in handy for that!

I popped the 120VAC receptacle with a small vac. (there was a spec of sand on the carpet - heheheh) I think there are 3 fuse boxes: 1 under the hood and one on each side of the dash. I need a warmer day to try to pull the panel covers off from the side of the dash when the door is open. Fuse 12 on the left side and 50 on the right, I think.

Just ordered a step for under the forward end of the bed because I found I can't reach the center of the tonneau cover to give it a clean wipe down.

The truck is much longer than I'm used to. Fairly wide turning radius. Back up camera comes in handy. I heard the Avalanche was the same frame as the Suburban. This is a foot or 2 longer than the Avalanche. Parking in the city is going to be a challenge.

I found the tire wrench and jack under the rear seat and I hear my key unlocks the rear tire crank release access to keep it more secure.

Still think it's got more truck options than the High Country since it has the Z71 package.

Was told my 2014 will not do the hot spot (no big deal) but that the 2015 will. Can anyone confirm that?

Quick Reply: New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71