Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

new fuel pump problems.

Old November 25th, 2015, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new fuel pump problems.

My 2002 Silverado had been giving me problems where it would stumble and nearly die and also had to crank awhile before it would start. I did a tune up and changed fuel filter but still had the same problems. Yesterday I put a new fuel pump on and took for a drive. It ran good for about 15 minutes then just died but started up and I drove home. Went out this morning and truck would not start and could not hear pump energizing. Fuel relay and fuses checked good so I ran 2 wires from a battery to pump and it came on every time. Plugged harness back on pump and nothing. Checked large gray wire on plug and it came on and went off in about 3 seconds like I believe it should. Would appreciate any thoughts pretty sure I got new pump plug wired right (had to splice wires to new plug) since it started and ran great for awhile. Thanks for any help.
Old November 26th, 2015, 12:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

Why did you have to splice a new plug? Was the old one damaged or did you use a pump from another application?

Last edited by oldchevy; November 26th, 2015 at 7:25 AM.
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most of the good replacement pumps come with a new larger gauge pigtail to prevent melting the terminals like they used too. How did you check the relay? Try swapping it with another?

Search this Thread