Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New here with front suspension question

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 1:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here with front suspension question

Hello everyone I have a 02 Silverado with 284K miles and still looks great. My problem is with the ride. First off it's a reg cab sb with the 5.3 2wd. When I run over bumps it's harsh and bumpy. It was actually like this when I bought it used as well so I replaced the front shocks with Bilstein HD and did not make any difference. I've been in other vehicles going over the same bumps and can barely feel them as if those vehicles absorb the bumps like they should. My truck on the other hand feels as if there is no dampening at all. I bought the Bilsteins because of reputation and quality but so far they have not been doing what they should. Or what else could it be???
Old August 21st, 2013, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
Hello everyone I have a 02 Silverado with 284K miles and still looks great. My problem is with the ride. First off it's a reg cab sb with the 5.3 2wd. When I run over bumps it's harsh and bumpy. It was actually like this when I bought it used as well so I replaced the front shocks with Bilstein HD and did not make any difference. I've been in other vehicles going over the same bumps and can barely feel them as if those vehicles absorb the bumps like they should. My truck on the other hand feels as if there is no dampening at all. I bought the Bilsteins because of reputation and quality but so far they have not been doing what they should. Or what else could it be???
I run Bilsteins on my truck and have had good luck with them. I would suggest you check out Bilsteinoffroad.com and see if those folks can help you out with this. They have a great tech line and might be able to help you out as well!
Old August 21st, 2013, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your truck a 2500 HD?
Old August 21st, 2013, 9:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if someone cranked the torsion bars to far up; it will ride like that.