Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

new member new chevy owner

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member new chevy owner

Hello there! My name is mike I just bought a 2008 silverado xlz 5.3l v8 4door with 66k..Nice truck with leather, sunroof all the bells and whistles. What kind of problems or things should i look for from the start and what kind of motor oil are you guys using in your silverados. Glad to be a new member and look forward to contributing to the community.
Old July 16th, 2012, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new truck. Your rig should run fine. You can't do much better than Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil.
Old July 18th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong with the 5.3L engine. I have a 2004 Silverado that I bought with 75k miles on it about 2 1/2 years ago. I now have 103k and it still runs strong. I use Mobil-1 5w30 synthetic and would urge you to do so as well.

The new style of truck ('07 to '12) that you have definitely looks better - especially the stacked headlamps; but I like the idea of my "old" Silverado being paid off free and clear.

The key with ANY VEHICLE is proper maintenance.
Old July 19th, 2012, 9:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonriverfisher
Hello there! My name is mike I just bought a 2008 silverado xlz 5.3l v8 4door with 66k..Nice truck with leather, sunroof all the bells and whistles. What kind of problems or things should i look for from the start and what kind of motor oil are you guys using in your silverados. Glad to be a new member and look forward to contributing to the community.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Congratulations on the new Silverado!

SAE 5W-30 is recommended for your vehicle.

If you are in an area of extreme cold, where thetemperature falls below −20°F (−29°C), it is recommended that you use either an SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil or an SAE 0W-30 oil. Both provide easier cold starting and better protection for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Notice: Use only engine oil identified as meeting GM Standard GM6094M and showing the American Petroleum Institute Certified For Gasoline Engines starburst symbol. Failure to use the recommended oil can result in engine damage not covered by your warranty.

If you have any questions or concerns in the future, the members of this community are very helpful. You are also welcome to contact me directly anytime.

Enjoy your Silverado!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 19th, 2012, 2:29 PM
CF Active Member

Congrats Mike!! You should probably make sure someone replaced the tranny and rear end oils. Coolant will be due in about a year depending on the in-service date.

Depending on where you live and what kind of driving you do will determine what type of oil to run. If you are using it as a daily driver with no specific high stress stuff (excessive stop and go driving, towing heavy loads, excessive hot or cold temps) a good quality (mobil, castrol, etc) basic petroleum oil will serve you fine. Paying more for synthetic or synthetic blends would only serve to easy your mind. But you would not truly be taxing the motor enough to justify synthetic oils. But some guys swear by them. I have the free oil changes for life from my dealer. I'm sure they are putting in a basic petroleum oil that GM recommends. I tow a 8k camper about once a month. Have absolutely no problems with the motor oil they use.

Hope this helps

Eric