Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Problem-bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Problem-bad vibration

So I have a new problem that just started a few hours ago. When I go about 55-65 the whole front end shakes and vibrates really bad. It's like I'm going over a bunch of bumps constantly. This shake happens about 4 times a second. If I go over 65 or under 55, the problem stops. Earlier today, I drove 100 miles without a problem. The truck set for about an hour then this problem happened immediately when I hit 55.

Now, I'm thinking it's the wheel bearings. When I was getting new tires (months ago) the guy at the place told me my wheel bearings were going bad. I told him I could do it at home, but forgot about it.

When all tires are on the ground, I can push and pull on the top of the tire and on the driver side it travels about an inch back and forth. On the passenger side, it's about a half inch of travel. Is this what's causing the major vibration?

2wd, 1998 silverado. 202k miles.
Old February 11th, 2010, 9:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd definetely start with the bearings! wouldn't drive truck anymore in case it is bearings.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea deff the bearings..jack up the front and wiggle the tires up and down if theres a lot of play bearings for sure! have somebody look under so they can tell you which 1 it is!
Old February 12th, 2010, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, so it's not the bearings. Today I also rotated the tires. No change. I remember the guy at the tire place telling me something about the pitman or the idler arm (can't remember which) needing to be replaced. Might one of those be the problem? My grandpa thinks it might be a bad shock. My dad says bad alignment or one of the "arms" mentioned above. I don't know. I do know it's not the bearings or the tires.
Old February 12th, 2010, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator

well when i said the post above for some reason i thought u said ball joint so never mind it. tho it might be a ball boint too? i had real bad vibration in my truck at above 65mph and when stopping.
Old February 12th, 2010, 4:55 PM
CF Active Member

The vibration is like there is no travel in the front suspension. Imagine a stiff-legged vehicle with no suspension (maybe an old bicycle) or even something that doesn't have rubber tires. Maybe like one of those power wheels cars, no suspension and plastic tires. Every little imperfection in the road is exaggerated so badly that the whole dash shakes. I'm wondering though, do shocks do this also when they go bad?
Old February 12th, 2010, 5:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bad shock(s) can in fact cause some vibration. they are what absorbs the bumps and vibrations from road. it's not a full proof test, but go around each corner of truck and bouce it up and down really good. if shocks are still good, truck shouldn't bounce anymore than couple times. you should also be able to feel a bit of resistance. if truck bounces too easy or more than a couple times, probably bad shock.
Old February 24th, 2010, 9:26 PM
CF Active Member

I checked the shocks using the prescribed method. They seem fine. This weekend I'm gonna get the tires balanced. I can't think of what my problem could be and it's getting frustrating.
Old February 24th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Active Member

Jack the front of the truck up and grab the tire at 3 and 9 and try to shake it back and forth. Then grab the tire at 12 and 6 and try to shake it back and forth that way. If there is alot of play at 3 and 9 look for something in the steering to be wrong. If you have alot of play at 12 and 6 ball joints