Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New tpms sensors

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tpms sensors

My DICdoesn't display any pressure readings (since I bought new 20"wheels from ebaywith sensors as picsshow)... just "service tire pressure system" or something like that. They are NEW sensors, not the ones from my stock wheels. Those are still in the stockers so I can change back to them whenever I want.

So do I need to go to the dealer and get some sort of calibration on my NEW sensors? I tried resetting them like the manual says but unless I'm doing something wrong (which couldn't be the case) it's not working.

What can it be???

Tks a lot

[IMG]local://upfiles/10584/B5A6C7D58CFE4C5782E8B1417C3CADBE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10584/6694C31BE79C4EA8ABBD3712B4F122EF.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: New tpms sensors

Did the same thing you do have to take it to the dealer so they can reset your computor. It took them about 5 min to do mine.
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

What they stated???
tks
Old October 14th, 2007, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

I just rotated my tires yesterday and I've followed the lousy instructions in the manual and it won't relearn the positions. I've read it's $50 to have the dealer do it, and I'm not paying that kind of money. Anyone have any ideas as to how to really reset the tire positions without expensive tools or dealer visits? Thanks.
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I have the service manual for a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (I know, it's not a GM product) but it states under the TPMS section that the sensors start transmitting once the vehicle reaches 20mph which I have read is true about the GM versions (2007 Silverado NBS). The Jeep service manual goes on to say that the sensor will continue to transmit for 20 minutes. Is that the same as with the sensors on the Silverado? If so, that might make the TPMS resetting work correctly with the letting pressure out proceedure.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it's true, why don't the instructions say "drive faster than 20 mph right before attempting this reset"? Thanks in advance.
Old December 31st, 2007, 5:25 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The operation of the GM TPMS system is:
The sensors sample pressures once every 30 seconds at all times however if they are stationary they will only transmit a signal if the pressure has changed since the last sample, in rolling mode they transmit every 60 seconds.

Relearning tire possitions after a tire rotation and installing a new set of TPMS are two completely different things.

In the manual you will notice that it states to lower or increase the tire pressure (this wakes up the sensors) but to learn a new set of sensors you must use the Kentmore gun to program.

Old December 31st, 2007, 6:53 PM
CF Junior Member

I rotated my wheels and I have been unable to get the truck to relearn the sensor locations. So I don't know what the problem is. Dealer was unable to reset them with the DIC buttons. So this TPMS is a joke.
Old December 31st, 2007, 7:45 PM
CF Addict

You have to add or release several lbs (sometimes as much as 5psi) of pressure to relearn if this isn't the problem then have the dealer update/reprogram the RCDLR.

And thank Ford for the TPMS mandate.
Old December 31st, 2007, 9:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Ya, at one point I released 10psi. I guess I'll have to take it back to them to update the RCDLR.

Yes, I am so grateful to Ford for this great feature whose requirement they helped get passed since I never check the pressure in my tires ever, I wait until they are so low that they come off the rim and roll down the freeway.</sarcasm>

I wish there was a way to disable it, I've heard the dealership can do it, then I've heard that they can't. When it comes time to replace one or more of these pricey little sensors I will be so happy. I have a $2 pressure gauge that is just as accurate as the one built into the truck.

I'll be going to the dealership for the RCDLR later this week, thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Before I've said I don't like the idea of spending a bunch of money on a unit to activate the sensors but maybe it isn't such a bad idea. Anyone know if the OTC 3833 works on the 07 NBS Silverado's sensors? I've got a few vehicles which I can use it on so it won't be such a bad investment.
Old January 1st, 2008, 1:22 PM
CF Addict

The OTC 3830 is designed to work on all new vehicles with the TPMS.
And just so you know: GM dealerships cannot turn off or disable the TPMS not only due to Federal Law but there is no physical way designed into the system that allows it to be disabled. GM’s official response to this: “Tire Pressure Monitoring is now a mandated safety system in the United States and cannot knowingly be disabled by an OEM nor an aftermarket service provider (49 USC 30101).”

Quick Reply: New tpms sensors