Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

o2 SENSOR REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2012, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 SENSOR REPLACEMENT

I have the 135 and 155 codes coming up so new sensors are in the future. my question is should I go with direct repacement of the universal fit ones? the Universal ones are alot cheaper but I dont wnat to screw with crimping and cutting wires one a sensor that I thought ran off resistance. Any recomendations.
Old February 12th, 2012, 9:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

didn't even know they had anything but direct fit.

the sensor output voltage is so low that any added resistance from improper crimping will skew the readings. If it was me; direct fit.
Old February 13th, 2012, 6:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Use the direct fit, the hassle is not worth the money you will save. Buy the direct screw em in and plug em in and go with it. The couple of extra bucks will save you the headache.
Old February 17th, 2012, 6:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
Use the direct fit, the hassle is not worth the money you will save. Buy the direct screw em in and plug em in and go with it. The couple of extra bucks will save you the headache.
couple of extra bucks?? they are almost twice as much from discount. 80 some dollars. I decided to see how much they were at the dealership figuring I would definately get the right parts... $117. Im thinking a $1 roll of electrical tape witll fix the light problem. I grabbed one of the Denso direct fits. My MIL shows it as both side up stream heater elements are not working so Im going to replace the one side and hope that it gets one of the 2 codes off before I drop the other 80 for the other side.
Old February 17th, 2012, 6:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Try amazon even with shipping they were cheaper autozone
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:08 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are wanting to be a frugal as possible you could try removing and cleaning the O2 sensors and see if that helps any or at least buy you some more time with them... I have never done this but have read that it is a plausible fix..
Don't use anything that can leave a residue...
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heard the saying you get what you pay for. If you buy junk you get junk
Old February 18th, 2012, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

its the wiedest thing.. Unplugged the passenger side to remove it but couldnt get it loose with the O2 sensor socket due to tight space so I plugged it back in them went to the drivers side and easily removed it and installed the new one. last time I had the computer reset it was back on withing a few miles showing the same 135, 155 and 300 codes. Had it reset this time. All the codes stayed off all the way home. I took it for a 40 mile drive later and all the codes stayed off.. This morning the codes were off again but soon came back on but Im thinking for a different reason. Ill have them read and report back.

About being frugal.. If I knew that the problem was the sensor I would drop the cash on it but its showing up as the heater circuit on the sensor and there seems to be a few issues that could cause it to show a bad code so before I dumped $250 into it I wanted to make sure it wasnt a wiring issue with it.