Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Oil

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2013, 3:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

I have a 2012 Silverado with the 5.3 in it. I'm coming up on time to change the oil again, this will be the 4th time since I've bought it brand new last year. It has 11,000 miles on it an I've always used quaker state standard oil. I've been considering changing to Mobel 1 full synthetic. Any one have any suggestions? Full synthetic vs regular oil? This truck is my baby I bought it with 6 miles on it and its never been hot rodded, I just want the best for her. Thanks for the comments.
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tfriend,

I am sure you are already aware, but I wanted to make reference to the owners manual page 11-13. This is only in reference to the question full synthetic vs regular oil, instead of a blend.

Recommended Fluids and Lubricants
This maintenance section applies to vehicles with a gasoline engine. If the vehicle has a diesel engine and/or an Allison Transmission, see the maintenance schedule section in the Duramax Diesel Supplement.
Engine Oil
Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specification, or equivalent,
of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended. See Engine Oil on page 10‑7.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 30th, 2013, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Which oil?

I have a '93 Silverado with over 100,000 miles on it. I have "never" put oil in it other than Quaker State. Still runs good. I have had many vehicles in my life and have been using Quaker State since I was 15.
Old July 30th, 2013, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gm requires a 5.3l, 20012 model to use dexos which is a synthetic blend oil. Conventional oil will void your powertrain warranty.

Are you in a extreme cold or hot climate area? if yes go full synthetic. Semi-syn is ok if you keep up the proper change intervals.
Old July 30th, 2013, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfriend
I have a 2012 Silverado with the 5.3 in it. I'm coming up on time to change the oil again, this will be the 4th time since I've bought it brand new last year. It has 11,000 miles on it an I've always used quaker state standard oil. I've been considering changing to Mobel 1 full synthetic. Any one have any suggestions? Full synthetic vs regular oil? This truck is my baby I bought it with 6 miles on it and its never been hot rodded, I just want the best for her. Thanks for the comments.
You must use oil that has Dexos1 certification or you will void the engine warranty. Does the Quaker State you have been using say Dexos on it? It looks like the Quaker State that qualifies is a synthetic blend/ semi synthetic. I highly recommend Mobil 1 it is a full synthetic and it meets the Dexos requirement. I have seen the inside of a 300,000 mile 4.3 S-10 engine that ran on Mobil 1 since it was new. There was hardly any wear.
Old July 31st, 2013, 4:12 AM
CF Junior Member

I have used quaker state in every vehicle I have ever had myself and it never occurred to me to look at the manual before now. So you know I'm not an idiot I just never have owed a vehicle new enough to still have the manual in it haha. I looked and it says use a synthetic blend as you have mentioned but not a full synthetic, so I guess I will go with what it says to be safe. I also looked and Mobil 1 was the choice I was gonna make but it doesn't seem to be on the dexos 1 approved list either. I will be changing the oil on Friday and hoping everything will be ok. Why does this have to be so complicated? 90's model Chevys you can just put 10w-30 in and go about your day. Thanks for all the help.
Old July 31st, 2013, 7:18 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 1 is Dexos approved. It says it on the front of the bottle in bright green letters