Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM

Default oil capacity 5.3L

just changed the oil for the first time on my 08 z-71 5.3L. the owners manual says it holds 6 qts. the gm website says 6 qts also. put 6 qts in it, ran it a few minutes, let it sit for about 30 minutes, checked it and it reads about 3/8 to 1/2 inch above full. when i first bought the truck i checked the oil and it read the same as it does now, over full, so i drained a bit out so it read full but not over.it is parked in my garage so its on a mostly level spot (garage floor slopes slightly toward the door). has anybody else had this happen? any info would be appreciated
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM

Default RE: oil capacity 5.3L

Quote:
ORIGINAL: fromdodge2chevy

just changed the oil for the first time on my 08 z-71 5.3L. the owners manual says it holds 6 qts. the gm website says 6 qts also. put 6 qts in it, ran it a few minutes, let it sit for about 30 minutes, checked it and it reads about 3/8 to 1/2 inch above full. when i first bought the truck i checked the oil and it read the same as it does now, over full, so i drained a bit out so it read full but not over.it is parked in my garage so its on a mostly level spot (garage floor slopes slightly toward the door). has anybody else had this happen? any info would be appreciated

2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3 4x4
Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
CF Senior Member

you changed filter too, right? as it's "with filter" capacity.
i had several changes done in my 2000 5.3 and yes, it does come up a little higher. ain't leaking or blowing gaskets, so who gives.....
as halfassed as their product is, they might have simply missed on marking dirpstick right.

DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK;
IF IT'S BROK, FIX IT RIGHT AWAY.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 PM

thanks mat, that was real helpful.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM

yep, changed the filter too, always do, whats the point of changing the oil if ya don't change the filter?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
CF Senior Member

because filter is not always recommended to be changed during oil changes. MANY manufacturers advise to change filter only every other oil change.that's why capacities are given with and without filter change.

DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK;
IF IT'S BROK, FIX IT RIGHT AWAY.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM

Change the filter every time. Not changing the filter is part of the advertising gimmic. "Buy our car because it cost less to maintain".
I would buy a new dipstick , by VIN # from dealer. $20 is an easy fix to know for sure. Too little oil, dont really need to explain.
Too much oil, crankshaft smacks it around foaming it up. I say all of this without seeing an 08 yet , may be a common problem with all.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM

Tags
08, 2006, 53, 53l, capacities, capacity, capicity, chevrolet, chevy, liter, much, oil, qts, silverado, traverse