oil capacity 5.3L - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

oil capacity 5.3L

August 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1  
oil capacity 5.3L

just changed the oil for the first time on my 08 z-71 5.3L. the owners manual says it holds 6 qts. the gm website says 6 qts also. put 6 qts in it, ran it a few minutes, let it sit for about 30 minutes, checked it and it reads about 3/8 to 1/2 inch above full. when i first bought the truck i checked the oil and it read the same as it does now, over full, so i drained a bit out so it read full but not over.it is parked in my garage so its on a mostly level spot (garage floor slopes slightly toward the door). has anybody else had this happen? any info would be appreciated

August 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2  
RE: oil capacity 5.3L

ORIGINAL: fromdodge2chevy

just changed the oil for the first time on my 08 z-71 5.3L. the owners manual says it holds 6 qts. the gm website says 6 qts also. put 6 qts in it, ran it a few minutes, let it sit for about 30 minutes, checked it and it reads about 3/8 to 1/2 inch above full. when i first bought the truck i checked the oil and it read the same as it does now, over full, so i drained a bit out so it read full but not over.it is parked in my garage so its on a mostly level spot (garage floor slopes slightly toward the door). has anybody else had this happen? any info would be appreciated

CF Senior Member

August 25th, 2008, 6:20 PM   #3  

you changed filter too, right? as it's "with filter" capacity.
i had several changes done in my 2000 5.3 and yes, it does come up a little higher. ain't leaking or blowing gaskets, so who gives.....
as halfassed as their product is, they might have simply missed on marking dirpstick right.

August 25th, 2008, 8:55 PM   #4  

thanks mat, that was real helpful.

August 25th, 2008, 8:56 PM   #5  

yep, changed the filter too, always do, whats the point of changing the oil if ya don't change the filter?

CF Senior Member

August 26th, 2008, 4:32 PM   #6  

because filter is not always recommended to be changed during oil changes. MANY manufacturers advise to change filter only every other oil change.that's why capacities are given with and without filter change.

August 26th, 2008, 7:30 PM   #7  

Change the filter every time. Not changing the filter is part of the advertising gimmic. "Buy our car because it cost less to maintain".
I would buy a new dipstick , by VIN # from dealer. $20 is an easy fix to know for sure. Too little oil, dont really need to explain.
Too much oil, crankshaft smacks it around foaming it up. I say all of this without seeing an 08 yet , may be a common problem with all.

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors