Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Filter Brand

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Brand

What Oil Filter Brand do you use in your Silverado? Also what is the part number?

Was going to use a Fram 10060 but having second thoughts.
Old February 14th, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Active Member

i use either wix (napa gold) or ac delco both great an no complaints sorry but i dont have the part numbers off hand
Old February 15th, 2012, 3:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I read up a great deal when I was putting my Yota back together. Those Yota guys had strong opinions and they all agreed Wix was best, Fram is garbage (that's why it's the Walmart brand). Purolator seemed to be a strong second. The Carquest filter is Wix rebranded...

I changed my oil yesterday and used a Carquest/Wix filter.

Old February 15th, 2012, 5:34 PM
CF Active Member

K&N HP-1007 for my 6.0 liter with Mobile 1 oil
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Senior Member

I use the mobil 1 fiilter and oil, yes its expensive but i have no complaints and neither does anyone else i know that uses them. Fram= garbage. A real easy solution to getting the part number off different brands is call autozone or where ever and they can tell you everything you want to know.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Active Member

I don't really know of anyone that has complaints about any oil filter or oil. Maybe in the old days with the synthetic oil used to ruin the old style seals and o rings. I've been thinking about running my filters for three oil changes, but first I need to find a little more out about them. I understand that the synthetic oils are more ph neutral and this helps keep acid from building up and working on the engine, but I mean really how much stuff does an oil filter clean out of a closed system. I would guess just some occasional stray worn out engine metal stray bits and maybe some tiny gastet material crude. So, do you need some great filter to do that and it seems a lower ph oil would let the filter survive longer without breaking down. Anyone deep into the oil system of a car and what happens on a system basis?
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Active Member

personal ive seen many people fight over oil and oil filters some with valid points some just strong faith in the product ive been told "ill never buy anything of yours" because of the oil i use (shell rotela 15w40 in a 6.0 in Louisiana where its hot all the time)but o well the oil is on a pan and the crankshaft and piston rods are lubed by the oil i would change the filter every oil change only because the oil gets a lot of impurity from all the moving metal parts also you cant change oil half way through the oil you use from day one should be the oil you finish with changing oils half way through the life of a motor could mess it up so if you start with synthetic stay with it if you start with regular stay with it
Old February 16th, 2012, 4:04 PM
CF Active Member

96 305-360k never been apart...Mobile -1 and Nappa Gold ( Wix ) filters. Change out the filter every 5000 miles and the oil every 10,000 miles.
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Cpb200
you cant change oil half way through the oil you use from day one should be the oil you finish with changing oils half way through the life of a motor could mess it up so if you start with synthetic stay with it if you start with regular stay with it
That's old information that has changed, it had to do with synthetic oil causing problems with the seals and gaskets. I can't tell you what year this was solved but newer cars have different seals and gaskets so you can go back and forth between synthetic and natural oil.

As for the metal bits in your engine, they have to be the easiest thing for your filter to catch and it would take a long time for there to be enough to clog it, not to mention they most likely settle to the bottom of your pan and don't get moved around much.

I still say it would take a long time for a filter to find enough stuff wearing off your engine or somehow entering the carborator or gas system to get plugged up. In fact I would guess that if you have an oil pressure gauge it would start rising if this happened. It's like a furnace airfilter in some ways, they tell you to replace them monthly, but I just check mine, it always takes longer than a month or even two for it to get very dirty and sometimes it goes six months because s of wet conditions holding the dust down.