Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Oil leak problems

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2015, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak problems

I have a 96 Chevy Silverado
107000 miles on it
5.7 V8 4x4

I have replaced:
Cam shaft seal
Oil pan gasket
Timing chain cover gasket
Water pump gasket

It leaves about 1-2in oil spot on ground over night, I have lost about a QT or oil in 2500 miles. It is leaking where the oil pan and the timing chain cover meet at the front of the engine. The GM tech that I take it to is stumped and so is the dealership. They were the ones who replaced all the seals and gaskets...I'm at a loss of what to do...I'm about to put Blue Devil stop leak in it, and see is that works...do yall have any ideas on what could be going on? Plus oil pressure is fine, and truck is running perfect.

Thank you,
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is best to have the timing cover gaskets replace with the oil pan removed. If the timing cover was installed the oil pan in place, it is possible that the lower gasket was rolled out of position. If the PCV system is plugged or not working, excessive crankcase pressure will force oil out of the engine anyplace it can. Pulling the dipstick out 1/2 will allow excessive pressure to vent. When the front crank shaft seal was changed was the harmonic balancer seal area good? Old hard rubber seal may have worn a grove into the balancer. You may have to clean the area several times to pin point the leak source.
Old August 1st, 2015, 4:39 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also since you have paid in good faith to have the leak fixed. The dealership is obligated to do repair the oil leak. I would take the vehicle back to them time and time again until the oil leak is repaired.