Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

one of my flex plate bolts are cross threaded?

Old April 17th, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one of my flex plate bolts are cross threaded?

Last june I put a new transmission with a clutch kit into my 1997 Chevy K1500 and last October when I was up north bear hunting I noticed a knocking sound. When I got home there was a service engine light that popped up for the catalytic converter so i assumed that was probably the noise.

Upon further expection the noise seemed to be coming from the oil pan area so I thought either a connecting rod or flex plate bolt had came loose. A couple days ago I took my starter out and the dust cover off the truck to notice one of my bolts were loosened and sticking out.

I thought piece of cake I'll put some blue permatex thread sealant on the bolt and tighten it back up. I did so then checked the other two bolts for tightness and they were good the wound it back around to recheck that one bolt and noticed it was cross threaded in there.

I was hoping maybe the lock tite would have held it in there but i didnt the knocking just came back today.

Is it possible to just take out that flex plate bolt? Could I run a tap through the hole to straighten the threads back up? I realy dont want to take the transmision back off it was a pain to put on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.
Old April 17th, 2010, 9:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try a tap. Depending on how bad it is you may need to drive and heli coil it
Old April 17th, 2010, 9:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you got the room you can try to tap it.