Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

P0016 Crank/Cam Pos. sensor 2004 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2009, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0016 Crank/Cam Pos. sensor 2004 Silverado

Hello,
Recently bought a 2004 Silverado and I have an error code P0016 which points to Cam/Crank position sensor. Has anyone experienced this? I reseated the sensors and unhooked the negative battery terminal for 60 seconds and the error is still there. My next move is to go to the auto parts store and clear the error with PCM code retriever.
Was just wondering if someone could tell me it is highly likely that I have a bad sensor or that timing chain slipped. Or, is there a way to check these sensors with a digital volt/ohm meter?
The engine performance seems fine. Steering wheel doesn't shake at idle and take off from stop seems fine.
All comments appreciated.
Sincerely, Jim
Old October 30th, 2009, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

A flow chart lead me to the distributor and asked if you could turn the rotor on the dist. shaft. It will spin as it rises about 3/16". I am thinking this is normal and like other vehicles in my past. Screws on cam sensor are tight. The distributer cap looked good and clean but rotor looked a bit pitted. I replaced the rotor. I still have the error. Please help.
Jim
Old October 30th, 2009, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

I did a lookup on that code:
"Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A"
Sounds like the crank sensor and the cam sensor are out of sync with each other. Do you have any drivability problems at RPM's over 3500?
Old October 30th, 2009, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Yep, crank and cam out of sync. I just took a short trip to look at some rims for it. Seventy miles each way. No problem the way there but, on the way back I would loose power a split second and then regain it. As if I reached the end of a weak rope and it broke. This was at 60-70 mph. The tac averaged 2000 rpm. Never seemed to act up when it was racing to change up a gear. Only did it when cruizing. Incline or flat.
At one time before the trip I left the auto parts store, came home and the light was out. Thought great! But, then back on the next start up. What happens when the timing chain is off a tooth? Is performance extremely obvious? Or is idle abnormal?
I also want to add, the cam sensor plugs directly into the distributor. That is the reason I wrote about the dist.
Any comments appreciated!

Last edited by JimOmaha; October 31st, 2009 at 6:03 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

This is what I found. Bad drive gear on the distributor. Half the teeth are sharp like razors. Or the typical wear of this type of gear. I did not feel unusual play in the rotor. I had to pull it to see. I did not pay the $405.00 for a new one. I paid $65.00 for a new gear which I pressed on in the machine shop at work. Took care of that error but then had a new one which did not light the check engine soon light on the dash. Some time I forget to do stuff and this time it was plugging the cam sensor back into the distributor. When I did that it lit the light and when checked it was the same new one which was P0341. (No signal from cam sensor) laugh!
I also want to add that I pulled the crank pos. sensor before this. The book said that I may need to take it to the dealer to have a "Crankshaft Position Sensor Variation Learning Procedure" done. I called the dealer and for $120.00 they hook it to their anylizer which communicates via satelite with mother station and depending on how cooperative my system is it can take three hours. I bought a 2004 used Silverado work truck not a $40k corvette. Anyway it did not set a code to relearn. Thank you God!
Anyway, I thought of using my oscilloscope to check the correlation of cam to crank signal. Does anyone know if there is a reference signal on the PCM to trigger off of because with out a reference you can not see which one is off. I am certainly not going to buy a SUN. Not sure if that is who makes the anylizers anymore cause I am out of date for this stuff. Buy two new vehicles in a row and you are out of the loop. Cam sensor these days keeps track of intake and exhaust and sets the timing for fuel injectors. And crankshaft sensor detirmines timing for spark. I did have fun with this. I hope this can be of help to at least one.
Sincerely, Jim
Also, the P0016 error did not reset with unhooking the battery. I needed to use the OBD2 anylizer to do this. I wish they were cheaper then $140.00 I will drive to the store for that cause they are real close.
cheers!
Just looked at prices of 2009 Silverado. Over $40K.

Last edited by JimOmaha; November 5th, 2009 at 1:54 AM.
Old January 26th, 2013, 5:25 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

im having the same problem i have an 2004 chevy silverado 1500 2wd 4.3 the truck has 182,000 and i have never had a problem until now. i was driving and i was at a red light and i punched on the gas and 10 secondes later the trucks shuts of and i pull over try startin it and it wont start so i waited 5 mins it started but the light came on what could that be? i went to advance auto zone and car quest they put it on the computer and it read code p0016 crankshaft position senior and cam sensor so i replaced them and the light still not staying off what can that be?
Old October 20th, 2022, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

@JimOmaha Jim, am I understanding correcly? You were never able to get the check engine light code p0016 to stay off? I am also dealing with this code on my 2004 4.3 Silverado. From everything Im seeing, i think im checking the distributor first.
Old November 12th, 2022, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ucisneros
@JimOmaha Jim, am I understanding correcly? You were never able to get the check engine light code p0016 to stay off? I am also dealing with this code on my 2004 4.3 Silverado. From everything Im seeing, i think im checking the distributor first.
there are issues with the timing cover c/crank bearings going bad and letting it contact the crank sensor. Remove sensor and look for impact marks. If you see one get a new sensor and add a shim under the sensor that retains it. It will move the sensor outwards but still read the crank triggers