Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

P0302=Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2006, 2:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P0302=Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected Need Help!!

ORIGINAL: kcb37

NCHEVYHEVN when you have a high compression engine you need a higher octane so you don't have pre detonation, on a fuel injected, and I belive a throttle body, the knock sensor will change the timing so you can run a lower octane. If the Knock sensor goes bad and won't adjust the timing then 87 octane may not work, but if you put in 91 it has a possablility of running better because the timing won't need adjusted to make it run right. But then the knock sensor could just be all messed up and a little higher octane rating wouldn't do anything. If you can't figure it out from this I don't know what to tell you.
First his motor isn't a high compression motor so 87 is fine.
Second all the knock sensor does is retards the timing. The knock sensor is basiclly just an ear on the motor listening for detonation.
Third timing doesn't change the compression ratio. Timing is just when the spark plug fires. Whether it fires earleier or later it still fires. And gas is high flamable to whether it's 87 or 110 it's still going to fire. Detonation or knock is when it does prematurly because of like you said a high compression ratio and too low of octane or hotspots in the cylinder from carbon deposits or the wrong plug heat range.
Old August 21st, 2006, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update FIXED sort of: I took my truck to Autozone to have a Diagnostic done on Friday. 7 hours later all they could only tell me that my compression was good, it had good gas pressure, and to go to the dealership because there not sure what the cause was. Luckly i wasn't charged!!! I'm not sure what they did because when I picked up my truck the missfiring was gone. Then shortly after driving the truck the check engine light turned off. I'm leaning toward a bad fuel enjector that was causing the problem and will replace them next if the problem comes back.

Actually on my 96 I have a distributor not a coil pack. I hardly ever pull anything with my truck. I pretty much only use 87 octane gas.
Old August 21st, 2006, 9:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone does compression and fuel pressure checks or did I read it wrong?
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:19 PM
CF Senior Member

You may want to get your computer reset, on 96 and newer even if it goes off it will still store the code and show up next time you have it checked.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

I made to many trips to Autozone last week it must have been on my mind when I was writing the message. I took the my truck to Firestone.