Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking brake light

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2009, 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake light

Can anyone tell me what would cause the parking brake light will come on and stay on (similar to a check engine light). I have not been using the parking brake but noticed the light was on when I started the truck this morning.

My truck is an 89' K1500. I live in S. Korea and we don't have a lot of help here for troubleshooting American made vehicles.

This is my first time on a forum, so please let me know if there is any format for asking questions or searching for help.
Old April 26th, 2009, 9:21 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the fluid level...its probably low......then check for leaks in the brake lines. If no leaks found, check the brakes themselve, they're probably low

If all checks out ok, pull the little connector off of the parking brake sensor. If the light goes out, either the brake is on a little bit, or the sensor is bad. If the light stays on, disconnect the sensor at the fluid reservoir. Again, if the light goes out, either the sensor is stuck(give the bottle a tap), or its bad. If all chacks out ok, and the light will not turn off, you either have a wiring short, or a short in the cluster
Old April 26th, 2009, 4:55 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I belive that also serves as the abs light in that truck.Is there a black box right beside the master cylinder? Unplug the harness from it and see if the light goes out
Old April 26th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS Light

MDTAHOE - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I unplugged the harness from the ABS box and the light went out, and stayed off when I plugged the harness back in. If the light comes on again in the near future should I be looking for a bad sensor somewhere, or will I most likely have to change the ABS box that the harness is plugged in to?

Shawnvw - you mentioned a (possibly) stuck sensor and suggested I "tap the bottle". Are you referring to the brake fluid reservoir? Is there a sensor in the reservoir, connected to the ABS harness, that could have initiated this?
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Hello All,
f the light goes out, either the brake is on a little bit, or the sensor is bad. If the light stays on, disconnect the sensor at the fluid reservoir. Again, if the light goes out, either the sensor is stuck(give the bottle a tap), or its bad. If all chacks out ok, and the light will not turn off, you either have a wiring short, or a short in the cluster.
Parking Sensor
Old January 12th, 2020, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Parking brake light on

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I belive that also serves as the abs light in that truck.Is there a black box right beside the master cylinder? Unplug the harness from it and see if the light goes out
Parking parking brake light

Last edited by Todd Crabtree; January 12th, 2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Light goes out but comes back on