Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Parts Replacement and Cold Weather Breaking.

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2014, 3:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Replacement and Cold Weather Breaking.

I have a 99 Silverado 3 door 5.3L V-8 which I love. It starts at -20 with no problems. I bought it used last November, 2012, for $3000.00 and have no regrets.

This fall I had to replace the left taillight harness. The brake wire broke right at the plug underneath the box. Needless to say it was so close to the plug I couldn't repair it. So, after spending $134 for a new one it's now working great again.

This winter I went out to start it and, unknown to me at the time, the door lock didn't unlock with the remote. I though the door was frozen shut so I pulled on it a bit harder and the door handle broke. $38 for the part plus labor to put it on and it works again. I now make sure the door fully unlocks by using the key to "nudge" the lock all the way open when it's 10 degrees or lower.

My shifter broke and wouldn't go into park. There's a piece on the steering column which is spring loaded and lets the shift lever put it into park. Princeton Auto, here in Princeton, MN, was able to stretch the spring in the part to get it to work until I could acquire a good part. That was about $100 for labor. I got a steering column from a junk yard for $45 and took the part off and brought it to Princeton Auto for them to look at. The part was good so we set up an appointment to put it on. Now it goes into part just great. Also, my horn wouldn't blow so when they were putting the shifter part on they cleaned the contacts in the steering wheel and now I can drive people nuts with a working horn.

All in all so far since fall I've spent around $600 on my pickup. I don't really mind it though because I figure a pickup that old will need parts at one time or another. Heck, I'm 67 years old and would like a couple of new parts myself so I can't hold it against my pickup for needing a part or two. Oh, I also put a set of new tires on it in the spring of 2012 for $600ish. But that's normal maintenance. The battery still turns it over nicely at -20 so I think it's OK for now.

The Silverado also has 4 wheel drive which works GREAT. The tranny doesn't slip. The engine doesn't burn or use oil. The brakes are good. So, all in all, I'm very happy with my 99 Silverado.

I would also like to give Princeton Auto a plug. Their service and parts departments employees are very friendly and courteous. They make you feel like you have been a regular coming there for years. I haven't seen anybody there with a bad attitude and would like to thank them publicly for their professional manner.

Last edited by 99 Silverado 3 door; January 5th, 2014 at 4:06 AM.