Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

periodic hesitation on my '06

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2006, 2:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default periodic hesitation on my '06

Hey Guys. this is my first post. I have Three newer model 5.3L vehicles in my family...'03 SSR, '05 Tahoe, and '06 Silverado Crew. My problem is, all three vehicles, one time you may get in them and mash the gas and the tires go to roasting. Then, the next time you get in them, when you mash it, they'll fall on their face. There's still decent power, but just not the consistent launching feeling you would expect. Has anyone else noticed this type of hesitation? Thank you in advance!
Old August 31st, 2006, 2:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: periodic hesitation on my '06

also, has anyone changed out the mass air flow for one of Granatelli's. I have read in a magazine that they make huge horspower gains. But it also went on to say it needed calibration. Do you know what that consists of?
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does the same thing
Old August 31st, 2006, 7:36 PM
CF Senior Member

I may be way off base, but one of my friends also has a 06, 5.3 Crew Z71. It dosen't like to roll the tires at all, he tried when I rode with him. But later he said he did get them to chirp. I think he was turning which can make a big difference in if your tire will spin or if it will spiiiiiiiiiiin. I also think that they may have some type of traction control or just a lot better diffs, cause my 96 won't come close to spinning like my 83 did. 83 had a 305 4 barrel, 96 has 350 vortec. It does roll around a corner but straight it will only chirp then it's gone. If it's not that I don't know what to tell you. It may also be that you hit a (slick spot) sand on the road or something when it will roast the tires.
Old August 31st, 2006, 8:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old September 1st, 2006, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

I don't really mean always spinning tires...Even if you just want to take off fast...you can tell a big difference from time to time. As far as your '96 goes, we had a '96 extended cab z71 4x4. It was sick until I did 3 things. first, we put 2-1/4 exhaust from the cats back. No mufflers. It was a little loud under WOT, but was pretty nice just cruising. Next, a k and n FIPK. Finally, a JET power module. The module took about 300 miles to set in really good, but after that chip, that truck was Awesome!.
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM
CF Senior Member

I don't know what to tell you, maybe the computer isn't getting the timing adjusted right. Does it seem to lack power after you first start it or after it's warmmed up? Or is it just completely random? How many miles, (maybe a fuel filter)
Old September 1st, 2006, 1:10 PM
CF Active Member

I think kcb37 hit the nail on the head in His earlier post. The traction control is probably doing it. I have a '96 Z28 auto trans that came with the traction control and It will literally push the throttle back at My foot if the tires go to spin. On My Camaro, You can turn off the traction control and it'll spin the tires as long as You want it to. Thanks for listening.
Old September 1st, 2006, 5:25 PM
CF Senior Member

uncle bill
Do you know how the traction control works? I spose I thought it was a better diff (more mechanical).
From what you said I am going to guess it's has something similar to abs sensors if it doesn't use those, that once the tires spin it takes away from the throttle, so they don't spin?
Old September 1st, 2006, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

kcb37

It's a computer controlled device of some sort. I have it on 3 of My Vehicles and the only one that You can manually control ( Turn a button off! ) and the only one that pushes back at via the gas pedal is My '96 Camaro Z28. It was the first year it was offered on the Z28 and may be unique. It's really pretty neat the way it works on the Camaro. The first time I drove the car in rain and the tires started to spin, I felt this hard push against My foot with the throttle. I thought I had broke something! I read the owners manual and it showed a on - off switch right under the radio. What a great idea! So, if You wanted the tires to blaze, all You have to do is turn off the traction control. I don't know about You, but it's the greatest thing since Iced Tea when it's slippery out. You can't make it spin if You wanted to. The thing reacts in a micro-second and stops the spin. I also have it on My '99 Suburban 4x4 and My '99 Toyota Camry but there is no method of turning it on or off. I'm pretty sure there is a sensor on the axle that sees when tire speed and vehicle speed do not relate to each other. I cannot see how it could work otherwise.

Quick Reply: periodic hesitation on my '06