Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust and Air filter

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2008, 8:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and Air filter

First off, I never would have owned a GM product if I wouldn't have had a baby on the way. I was a Ford/Jeep guy. After I purchased my truck(2002 Chevy Z71 Ext. Cab Short Bed w/ 70k)I realized what I have been missing. Well I have had my truck for a lil over 2.5 months and I wanted to make it a little bit different from everyone else's and I took the muffler off and added in a DynoMax Ultra Flow Welded muffler. Still stock tubing just different muffler. Man does it soundGREAT. I wanted to get a little bit more rumble and not have it unbearably loud. So I drove on that for a week or so and got to thinking...Man my truck must be starvin for air. So I got a S&B OEM Replacement filter. I would never and could never say anything bad about their filters. The construction qualityand test results alone should be a huge deciding factor.Let me tell you, if you are in the same boat as I am and can't just go out and buy the whole cat back system and Cold air intake, this is a moderately cheap and easy way to get more power, sound, and hopefully more MPG out of your truck. I used to get around 15 MPG on average...lets see what happens I will keep everyone updated.
Old April 15th, 2008, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Exhaust and Air filter

Do you have the ability to record a sound clip of your truck? I have been wondering about putting that same muffler on my truck without changing the rest of the pipe and just wondered if I could hear it before I did it. Did you keep the stock exhaust location on the side of the truck?
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

I think I can getpics, sound, and videoand post it up. Yes it is in stock exhaust location. It is loudest on cold start up, after the engine is warm it has a little rumble. Sounds good and isdefinately cheaper than full systems.
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, that would be great. Also as follow-up if you do notice any improvement in fuel economy that would be great too, but I know how hard it is to keep your foot out of something you enjoy driving.
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
CF Junior Member

It is really hard to keep my foot out of it but I am trying to take it easy this time to see what the difference is mainly for the forum and my WIFE. She really will be upset if I tell her I am getting 12 MPG now because I like to listen to the exhaust sing to me. Since the exhaust and air filter I have noticed more torque and throttle response, but that could be wishful thinking. Hard to tell, I know that it wants to spin the tires on take off alot more...even under low to moderate accelleration. That is a plus, because I want to get rid of the Highway tires and the faster I get rid of the tread the faster I get a/t's. I will getthat mediaposted up and let everyone know about MPG...it might be a while on MPGbecause I want to get the average of about 3 tanks of gas to get a true averageMPG.
Old April 21st, 2008, 4:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Okay so here we go first off I averaged 16 mpg on my first tank I am working on my second now. Later tonight I will post up that video clip and pics of muffler and everyone can tell me what they think. talk to you later, garrett
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhhhhh I love the story of a Ford man coming to his senses and coming to our side....