Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Poping/knocking noise on 2010 silverado?!

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poping/knocking noise on 2010 silverado?!

Just bought a 2010 silverado crew cab LT Z71 just hit 1000 miles yesterday, just had running boards installed but on the passenger side they couldnt get the bolt out in the middle that holds the middle support on the running board. So they told me to have the dealer get that bolt out. Ever since i picked up my truck when i make turns there is a poping/knocking noise on the passenger side....could this be due to the running boards not having all the supports and when the truck flexes or whatever its twisting those boards and making that noise, or is it something i should take up with the dealer?
Old June 10th, 2010, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my 2010 Silverado with new Westin signature series running bords. I installed them, and have moved them around, but always the same popping sound. It's un-nerving. I'm thinking about taking them off and putting them up for sale. It's aggrevating because I don't know if it's the installation, the truck, or the boards. Any advice?
Old June 12th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default got the problem solved!

I took my truck back to ziebart who installed them and they said it happens all the time on gm trucks....they just put a different washer on them......took them like 5 minutes to fix and the noise is completly gone! Either call a ziebart and ask they what they do to fix it or just take it there and pay basibly nothing to fix it.....no need to sell them....hope this helped....later man
Old December 30th, 2010, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

I just saw this, and it might help...

We do not have access to memos on this end, only technical service bulletins. The only bulletin out about the cab mounts is for a popping noise. If you have the popping noise, the dealer is to install insulators in the cab mounts. I have included the bulletin for you below.

You could take the truck in and complain about a popping noise and let them install the insulators, they would have to repair the nut inside the body as part of the process and would eliminate you from having to deal with it.

TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 06-08-61-003E
Date: June 22, 2010
Subject: Underbody Pop or Clunk Type Noise While Turning or Driving on Uneven Road Surfaces (Install Body Mount Insulator)
Models:
2004-2010 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2004-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (Classic), Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2004-2010 GMC Sierra (Classic), Sierra Denali (Classic), Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-61-003D (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a pop or clunk type noise while turning or driving on uneven road surfaces. This noise can be heard and/or felt at either the driver's or front passenger floor pan area.
Cause
Under certain conditions, normal movement between the frame and the #1, #2 or #3 body mounts may cause this noise to occur.
Diagnosis
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>1.</td><td>If the vehicle is equipped with aftermarket (non-GM Accessory) running boards or the running board is mounted using the body mount bolt, remove the running boards prior to test driving the vehicle. This will eliminate the running boards as the possible cause of the noise.</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>2.</td><td>Install the J-39570 Chassis Ears to the frame rail at or near the body mounts.</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>3.</td><td>Test drive the vehicle to identify which mount is suspect.
</td></tr></tbody></table>Correction
Install an insulator at the suspect mount(s). The insulator should be installed between the upper portion of the body mount and the frame bracket. The #1 mount is the mount located just under the A-pillar. The #2 mount is the mount located just under the B-pillar. The #3 mount is the mount located just under the C-pillar.