Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possibly buying a 2500HD, new to Chevy.

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2014, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying a 2500HD, new to Chevy.

Mothers boyfriend has a 2004 2500HD hes selling, and I am very interested. I want to buy the truck to be a bad weather/weekend toy.

I would like to lift it, as much as possible without severe modifications, (Ive never lifted anything, nor have I owned a truck before)

I grew up driving Explorers, and had a few different cars, but prefer the functionality of a truck/SUV.

About all I know at the moment, is that its a 2500HD, white, single cab, has low(er) miles, 5.7 engine, and a 5th wheel in the bed. He only wants $3000 for it, since it needs paint, and he cant afford 2 vehicles.

Are there any common problems with this truck I should know about? How much would it cost (myself) to get about 6-8" of lift? I want this thing high, but when weathers bad, ill be driving it down the highway to work, so I still need it 70MPH safe, lol.

Im not sure what size/type of tires, id like some bigger rims though, chrome and black 20's. Definitely gonna do the exhaust, and some performance mods too. Any suggestions are appreciated, glad to be on the forum!
Old January 8th, 2014, 4:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean slates are always good. Now to the fun stuff, it doesn't have a 5.7, should be a 6.0. Performance for this truck can be greatly enhanced with Longtube headers, free flowing exhaust, intake, and a custom tune via blackbearperformance or gowheatley.com.

6-8" lifts come in a lot of different makes. First decide what wheel/tire combo you want to run then pick the lift. If you want 33s, then a 4" will be fine, if you want 35s then a 6" will be better. Now if you're wanting it high then I'd say do the 6" on 35s with those performance mods and you'll be golden.

Don't forget to keep up te maintenance, it'll only go for as long as you decide to take care of it.
Old January 8th, 2014, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

For potential heads-up review your model's Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins and do random searches on this and other related forums.

I usually find troubled waters have been swum (swimmed?) by many others before me. A half hour searches can save big bucks and many hours of headache. $3,000k seems really cheap for an '04 anything. What's KBB say it's worth. Maybe mom's BF is cutting you a deal, but good to do your own due diligence too.
Just some thoughts.
Old January 10th, 2014, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Wow that is cheap. I just bought an 04. Pd 18k for it KBB said 22K with the options and only 65k miles. If you can get that for 3k, do not hesitate. But I agree it must have the 6.0, not the 5.7
Old January 10th, 2014, 9:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the lift kit will cost more than the truck