Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering (please help...loosing my mind)

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2017, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UH60sSuck
Update..... Today went to the GM dealership today. Paid $46 for them to tell me some thing I already knew. Power steering pump was bad. Then Paid about $215 for a brand new GM original pump. On the way back stopped at auto zone. B***h'd em out for selling me 2 crappy pumps. Threatened to call the district manager. Got a free gift card and free power steering fluid to put in the new pump I bought from the dealership and bought a new belt. Went and replaced the pump. Noticed the new fluid went from clear to brown as soon as I turn the tires. drained the reservoir and refilled it. It did the same thing. Ran out of fluid and bummed a quart of my friend. Still turned brown 2 more times. Was getting a little bit lighter every time. Ended up driving to walmart and got 4 quarts of power steering fluid. Did it till it stayed normal color. Even with this new pump it still wont turn at idle. Dont give a crap though at least it work when it is barely rolling. I am burnt out of replacing them. I am pretty sure it is the gear box. Your right travis about them being expensive. $670 remanafactured at the GM dealership. I found them quite a bit cheaper on ebay but dont know if I want to order one from them. Im just going to drive it like it is till I have no power steering.

you try the Steering position sensor? That could be the issue If your vehicle is equipped with the EVO system
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help my power steering won't work!!!!

Ok so I drive a 1994 chevy suburban k1500 and I have replaced my gear box and that's all. my power steering only works if I am rolling or accelerating it has no power steering sitting still and makes a noise sometimes if I turn in any direction, what can I try to fix my problem?
Old September 15th, 2017, 8:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

make sure the tires are properly inflated. flat tires make the p.s system work hard.

if no change with the tires/air; put a pump on it. get a pump and reservoir kit...do not get a pump only and transfer the old reservoir. You have to bleed this properly or it will make noise and fail prematurely. do not start the engine until you have bled the system manually; turning the wheels stop to stop by hand 20x.

jake...the p/s position sensor is used for stability control system...it has no input to the p/s system.
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=tech2;343876]make sure the tires are properly inflated. flat tires make the p.s system work hard.

if no change with the tires/air; put a pump on it. get a pump and reservoir kit...do not get a pump only and transfer the old reservoir. You have to bleed this properly or it will make noise and fail prematurely. do not start the engine until you have bled the system manually; turning the wheels stop to stop by hand 20x.

jake...the p/s position sensor is used for stability control system...it has no input to the p/s system.[/QUOTE

The tires are properly inflated to the right psi. Is there anyway to test the pump before buying a new one? And is there anything else that it could be?
Old September 16th, 2017, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you would need a power steering pressure tester to test the pump. The tool would cost more than a pump or steering gear.

did this problem occur after you replaced the steering gear/box or was box replacement a fix for the p/s problem?