Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power steering and power brake problem.

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2006, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering and power brake problem.

I have a 2002 with the duramax, manual transmission and crew cab. I had a very wierd problem happen the other morning. I started up the truck and went back in the house. Put the kids in the truck and started to back out of the car-port. I had no power steering or power brakes. Checked the belt, power steering and brake fluid. All were good. I then attempted to back out and turn around with great difficulty. After a couple of turns, everything came back at once. I ahve not seen this problem since, but afraid it might happen at the worst time.

Does anyone know what ties these systems together (sensor, vacuuam line etc.) that would cause both to not work, and then to come on together? When it came back, I heard the power steering pump make a sound like it was low on fluid and then it went away. Once the noise was gone, all worked fine.

I called the dealer, and they want to charge me to put it in the analyzer to see what the computer codes are. I don't need to spend this kind of mney to find this out if at all possible. The truck is under an extended warranty until November, so it might be worthwhile to take it in, but time is critical also. I can't afford to be without my truck for an extended period of time while they attempt to troubleshoot and find the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Alan