Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Preventative care for 2001 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2013, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventative care for 2001 Silverado

Hey all, I just recently bought a 2001 with 130,000 on it. They guy I bought it from was the second owner and this thing seemed to be taken care of really well. I'm curious as to what I can expect to go wrong (granted not everything can be forseen). He said new wires and spark plugs were put on at 100k and the oil and was changed every 3,000. I was curious about what to do with the transmission fluid. He said it was changed at 100,000 as well. When should I consider flushing it in the future? I want to try to keep this thing running for as long as humanly possible. This is my first truck so I'm trying to do everything I can to take care of it the first time. It's 2wd if that makes a difference with the care. I'll be checking back soon and hopefully I can learn something from you guys.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Also I live in the Mid-west so rust may also be a factor with the treatment of the roads they do around here.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 7:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it have the 5.3L V8? If so, it is probably just broken in. I have a 2004 (similar to your 2001, but with a different front end & tail lamps on it) with 109,000 - and I bought it with 74k on it a bit more than three years ago.

Be sure to have a "BG Service" done on it at a reputable shop. I had this done to my fuel injectors (intake), coolant (DexCool), rear differential, transmission and power steering. I also had both of the accessory belts replaced - just for good measure. It's going to cost a boatload of money to do all of them at once, but I would suggest having it all done except for the transmission (since you said it was done at 100k). Don't forget the air filter, either. It'll be the best $15 you ever spend. Of course, I had to get new tie rods, a set of rear brake pads and some new Michelin tires -- but it was still cheaper than buying a new truck.

Try to see if the previous owner has any receipts or talk to the owner/manager of the shop that he used (if it is convenient to you). Any proof that work was done is peace of mind for you in the long run.

These trucks are pretty durable and it is not rare to find a gasoline V8 with more than 250,000 miles on it. Fluids and filters are the lifeblood of your vehicle. Take care of it and it'll take care of you! Best of luck with your truck! There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum if you have questions about it.

BTW, I've always been a "Ford guy" with trucks (at least since the late 1980s or early 1990s) and bought my Silverado because I could not find a nice F-150. They were all two years old and cost $$$$ or they were ten years old with 150,000 miles on them. My friend from work had an '02 Silverado (which now is close to 200,000 miles) and liked it - so I jumped on it and bought my 2004 long-bed, extended cab 2wd Silverado. I confess to liking the interior & ride of the Fords better, but the Chevy has a better engine (in my opinion), is easier to work on and looks cooler.

Cheers!!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 7:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Oh, don't forget to run a bottle of STP fuel injection cleaner in your gas tank after every oil change.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Appreciate the info JK. It has the V6 in it. I'll look into everything you suggest and see how much it'll put a dent on in my pockets . More of a return investment than anything.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I change my PCV valve about every 100,000 miles.
Something very few people do. A new PCV valve only costs about $2.00,
and it only takes about 1 minute to change.
But if this check valve ever gets stuck, its gonna cause a whole lot of expensive and
time consuming problems. I'd change it IIWY.

I also flush 1/2 a can of seafoam through the vacuum via the PCV valve vacuum line
every other oil change to clear out all the carbon deposits. You could do that.

I only use 76 gasoline, or Chevron if no 76 is near and it is running just as good as ever.
But for kicks, about every 1000 miles I pour 1/2 bottle of marvel mystery oil or seafoam into the gas tank.
I tend to use marvel cuz it has a long neck which makes it easier.
both of those work better than any other additive you can buy.
Then about 200 miles before your 6,000 mile oil change when you change your oil filter,
put 1/2 a bottle of marvel mystery oil or seafoam into your oil.
it will loosen up any sludge or deposits caked to the pan or whatever and free it up.
your oil filter will then catch it. then change the filter, which is why you do this every 6k miles, cuz that's
about how long an oil filter will last... that I trust anyway.

flush transmission fluid and coolant out every 50k miles

change spark plugs every 50k miles

change fuel filter every 50k miles

When I change my oil I replace 1qt of oil with 1 qt of lucas oil additive

Stay on top of changing your air filter.
(If you have a Cold Air Intake, or a K&N air filter, clean it properly every other oil change,
and don't forget to oil it before you put it back in.)

with these things, you will easily have a 300,000 mile truck.

I log everything in a notebook I have to keep track, and I just count up from 100,000 odo miles that way I never lose track.
Since you got yours at about 100,000 odo miles, you could easily do the same.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; March 4th, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Appreciate all the info Racer! I kept a similar log of my Mustang before I bought this truck. Funny that you mention Marvel's because a guy I worked with had a 1500 similar to this one and he swore by the stuff . I'll look into everything you suggested.

Anything else these guys haven't touched on chime in and let me know guys.. Keep it coming!
Old March 4th, 2013, 6:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Marvel Mystery Oil (black & red can) is good stuff, as is Rislone (yellow bottle) - if they still make it. I have heard about Seafoam and have seen it at Wal-Mart; but I have never used it myself. Maybe I will in the near future.

As with any vehicle, maintenance is always important. Good luck with your 'new' truck!!

P.S. The 4.3L V6 is really a small-block 350 V8 with two cylinders shaved off. :-)