Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Problem filling gas tank

Old June 3rd, 2011, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem filling gas tank

hello My father and i have the same truck 2006 silverado 1500 crew. my truck has never had this problem but my dad's truck is very hard to put fuel in.the pump cuts off every 5-10 seconds. even if there is just a little in the tank...any info on fixing this problem would be great
Old June 4th, 2011, 8:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to sound silly, but could it be the gas pump?

I have that problem with my Silverado - but only at one BP/Amoco station on my way home from work. I fill up there frequently (to get occasional 20 cents per gallon discounts for points from my grocery store purchases).

If I fuel up elsewhere, it works just fine. Maybe something is set or calibrated improperly with their emissions/vapor prevention system.....I don't know.

P.S. Gasoline prices here are down 25 cents a gallon in less than a month! Who would ever think that $3.50 a gallon would seem like a bargain to us?
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is the pump.
some do it, some don't.
And some of the pumps are very sensitive.
you have to push it in as far as it'll go.
And also you might not be able to pull the handle in all the way,
you may only be able to pull it up just a hair to let the gas flow.
I have had pleanty of trouble with this in all sorts of cars and trucks I have owned.
Old June 4th, 2011, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

it might be the pump but everything else is working fine with the fuel pump. my father's had trouble with fuel pump's in this truck but none in the last 2 years......anyway thanks
Old June 4th, 2011, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

i think they meant the gas pump lol
Old June 4th, 2011, 8:49 PM
CF Junior Member

i have the same problem when i gas up. i think it has something to do with the angle of the gas nozzle and how you place it into the filler tube. if i just stick the nozzle in the filler tube. the pump keeps shutting down, but if i left the trigger part of the nozzle as i pump it keeps pumping.weird huh.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

it is strange. we have tried at least 30 different gas stations. all over the midwest. and tried the nozzel every different way it just keeps poping off like the tank is full. my cousin had a 2007 avalanche and it did the same thing.
Old June 5th, 2011, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

Check the vent lines, I've never heard of this problem on our trucks but in the Jeep world It's a very popular subject. Best case scenario is your truck is weaning its self off gas ;-)
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Grain bin painter,

I agree with the other users on this forum. Sometimes you have to twist it just right to get it to work properly. However, since you have tried many different ways and gas pumps, I would advise you to have your father take his vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 6th, 2011, 1:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I have this problem in my 1990 Silverado since I bought it 6 yrs ago. When I fill up, the pump usually clicks at about 28 gallons. My tank is 37 gallons, I have to pump very slowly to get the other 7-9 gallons. It takes and extra 15 minutes to put in the remaining gallons.

At a busy station...it pisses alot of people of having to wait!

My gas gauge is irratic...so I fill up until it wants to slosh out, then reset my milage indicator to "0000". When I get 400 miles, it is time to fill up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem filling gas tank