Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Problem filling gas tank

Old June 6th, 2011, 9:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darn 400 mi for a 37 gal tank???
I think I get close to 400 on my '07 truck with a 23 gal tank? if I'm not puling my trailer, or at least that is what the computer says lol
Old June 7th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUETRANPA
darn 400 mi for a 37 gal tank???
I think I get close to 400 on my '07 truck with a 23 gal tank? if I'm not puling my trailer, or at least that is what the computer says lol
He did say that it is a 90 model so you cant expect it to get the same milage that you 07 does. He also didnt say what engine and neither did you. If he has the 454 and you have a 4.8 thats not even in the same ball park. My 07 only gets about 275 miles out of the 23 gal tank. But I have a 6.0, 4x4, extended cab and normally drive in very heavy traffic. Unless engine size and other specifics are giving fuel milage can not be compared between different trucks.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

I have 5.7 engine....before my tune up, getting about 10.5 mpg. After tune-up and injection cleaning, I am hovering just over 12 mpg. I also use 92 octane at every fill up.
Old June 8th, 2011, 4:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbomar
He did say that it is a 90 model so you cant expect it to get the same milage that you 07 does. He also didnt say what engine and neither did you. If he has the 454 and you have a 4.8 thats not even in the same ball park. My 07 only gets about 275 miles out of the 23 gal tank. But I have a 6.0, 4x4, extended cab and normally drive in very heavy traffic. Unless engine size and other specifics are giving fuel milage can not be compared between different trucks.
well I have a 5.3 extended cab, and I was not really comparing trucks, I was just freaking out for the fact that I can barely afford my monthly payments the way it is, much less if I had that kind of gas mileage!!!
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

That is why I bought my truck out right 6 yrs ago...no payments + fuel cost.

I only have to pay the fuel.

I think buying a new truck, one shoul be prepared for all cost and make enough to pay enough.

I had a friend tells me that he is frustrated getting only 12 MPH, costing him alot of money for in gas. So he goes out and buys a $40 K truck????
Old August 17th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Junior Member

i realize this is a dead thread but in case anyone else runs across this or if the OP hasnt found an answer yet. there is lots of misinformation in this thread. it is in no way the gas pumps fault that you have trouble filling your tank. GM released a bulletin (not recall just bulletin) about this problem on trucks 04-2010, along with code P0455. this code means EVAP large leak. and will typically be accompanied by a code for EVAP vent solenoid circuit failure. the fix for this is to replace the EVAP vent solenoid, and replace, and relocate the vent tube to above the transmission where it will no longer get moisture inside and wont stop up with dust dirt. mud or anything else. if you do not have a check engine light but have a problem filling up then replace, and relocate the vent tube using 5/8ths rubber line across the frame and zip-tie it somewhere above the trans. it is very common, and is fairly easy to fix.

Last edited by GM_tech92; August 17th, 2012 at 8:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old August 18th, 2012, 7:51 PM
CF Active Member

I find that if I tilt the bottom part of the handle towards the front of the vehicle I get a faster fill. I think it sets up for a liquid swirl that spins down the fill tube so it breaths better.
Old September 15th, 2012, 3:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by basilkies
I find that if I tilt the bottom part of the handle towards the front of the vehicle I get a faster fill. I think it sets up for a liquid swirl that spins down the fill tube so it breaths better.
it works because youre allowing pressure and fuel vapor to escape past the collar on the pump
Old September 15th, 2012, 5:32 PM
CF Veteran

those relocation kits are crap, especially the 1s that run the line up to the filler neck, if it got filled with dirt at the tank itll get filled with dirt at the filler or on top of the tranny.

i added hose and ran the vent line under the hood by the master cylinder on my moms
Old February 18th, 2013, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default solenoid

Originally Posted by GM_tech92
i realize this is a dead thread but in case anyone else runs across this or if the OP hasnt found an answer yet. there is lots of misinformation in this thread. it is in no way the gas pumps fault that you have trouble filling your tank. GM released a bulletin (not recall just bulletin) about this problem on trucks 04-2010, along with code P0455. this code means EVAP large leak. and will typically be accompanied by a code for EVAP vent solenoid circuit failure. the fix for this is to replace the EVAP vent solenoid, and replace, and relocate the vent tube to above the transmission where it will no longer get moisture inside and wont stop up with dust dirt. mud or anything else. if you do not have a check engine light but have a problem filling up then replace, and relocate the vent tube using 5/8ths rubber line across the frame and zip-tie it somewhere above the trans. it is very common, and is fairly easy to fix.
Is the solenoid you are speaking of the one by the spare tire area, not the one up by the intake manifold. IS there any type of wiring harness associated with this as I see some people mention the wires dont line up and they had to get some type of harness to connect the wires. IF so do you know what kind of connector type harness to order. thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem filling gas tank