Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 28th, 2015, 2:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

problem with fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with fuel pump relay

I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 pickup, 4wd, 5-speed manual w/ a 305. About two months ago, the truck wouldn't start, and I figured out that the fuel pump wasn't turning on. When I opened the relay box, I noticed that the plastic casing fuel pump relay, as well as the plastic on the relay box itself, showed signs of heat damage at one of the connectors. I bent the prong so that it would make contact, and the truck started up fine and ran for two months with no problems. Yesterday, same problem. Fuel pump wouldn't turn on. I replaced the relay, and it still only worked intermittantly, and the engine had no spark. I tried everything, and finally what I found to work was hot wiring the positive terminal of the battery directly into the ignition coil. Once the engine was running, I disconnected the wire from the battery terminal and the truck ran with no problems. Today, it died on the way to work. I noticed that the relay was extremely hot. Once it cooled, the truck would start but the engine would soon die and the fuel pump would not turn on. After sitting for a few minutes, it will start again, but will die pretty quickly. Any ideas?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: problem with fuel pump relay

I have the same problem with 1997 chevy 350 pickup. Fuel relay burnt around one prong, very hot, fuel pump won't run. I can change relay and the pump will run again. I can reuse the hot relay after it cools down. Any soluitions? Thanks,
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 94' Silverado and pulled the fuel tank today. Replaced relay, fuse looks good, still won't start. Will put in new pump tomorrow. Truck refused to start yesterday, then ran this morning with no problem. Then wouldn't run again. 189,000 miles could probably use a new pump anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

One more thing. WhenI replaced my relay there was some corrosion on the screws that secured it. This might be the problem with yours. It may be interferring with your ground which would lead to the relay heating up.
Old September 14th, 2007, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

I change the wire and prong coming into the fuse/relay box that connected the one prong that was getting hot on the fuel pump relay. So far all is working well. Good Luck
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

MY UNCLE IS HAVING THE ALMOST THE IDENTICAL PROBLEM. HIS 01 SILVERADO 1500 WONT EVN START THOUGH, BUT WHEN HE WIGGLES THE WIRES TO THE FUEL PUMP IT WILL START FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN DIE. SO I THINK HES GOING TO REPLACE THE PUMP. THE NEW PUMP IS ABOUT 500 SOME DOLLARS. THATS CHEVYS PRICE.

ROBERT.
Old September 20th, 2007, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

I replaced the pump assy. with one from Murrays for $220.00. Make sure he checks his ground wire. It comes off the top of the tank with the power harness but is a single black wire grounded on the frame. No need to use the OEM part on this one. Tell him to wait until he checks the ground and he may only need to replace the pump which is about $50 from Murrays. The assy. includes sending unit and internal pipings. If he does just need to tchange the pump have him change the screen for another $15. Let me know how it goes.[/align][/align]Mark
[/align]
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy truck fuel problem (solution found)

Found solution to fuel problem

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> I own a Chev ½ ton truck with 206,000 mi it would stop running while driving down the road.
After some time it no longer ran no fuel and would start on ether only.
When it ran the fuel pressure was one psi above specs OK.
I shot gunned the problem and replaced fuel pump and in line filter first.
Problem still there. Replaced fuel pump relay.
Would not run.
I then took a non insulated ¼ inch male flag terminal and inserted it into the fuel relay socket common wire that fed the fuel pump and jumped to battery positive.
I could hear the pump running. I turned key and engine ran.
I then checked voltages at the fuel relay socket with engine running.
10 VDC from fusible link that feds the pump through relay.
The fusible link had a cylinder of plastic in the line. I found that small wire end of that cylinder was a corroded wire. I pull on it and the bad connection was found. Replace fusible link and it runs great.

PLEASE DO NOT JUMPER OUT THE FUSIBLE LINK. IF SOMETHING IN FUEL TANK GOES WRONG YOU NEED THE FUSE PROTECTION.

I hope this helps
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

Originally Posted by brerobx
I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 pickup, 4wd, 5-speed manual w/ a 305. About two months ago, the truck wouldn't start, and I figured out that the fuel pump wasn't turning on. When I opened the relay box, I noticed that the plastic casing fuel pump relay, as well as the plastic on the relay box itself, showed signs of heat damage at one of the connectors. I bent the prong so that it would make contact, and the truck started up fine and ran for two months with no problems. Yesterday, same problem. Fuel pump wouldn't turn on. I replaced the relay, and it still only worked intermittantly, and the engine had no spark. I tried everything, and finally what I found to work was hot wiring the positive terminal of the battery directly into the ignition coil. Once the engine was running, I disconnected the wire from the battery terminal and the truck ran with no problems. Today, it died on the way to work. I noticed that the relay was extremely hot. Once it cooled, the truck would start but the engine would soon die and the fuel pump would not turn on. After sitting for a few minutes, it will start again, but will die pretty quickly. Any ideas?

i recently had the same problem with my 06 malibu. i thought it was the fuel pump and had it replaced but that wasnt it. so i had it towed to my dads shop about 45 mins away from where i lived and he figured it out right away. he took off the fuze box off where the fuel pump relay is located and cleaned the wired that was connected to the relay from the inside and he said it was really burned but still havent been able to figure why it does it. i live two and half hour from vegas and drove all the way there as soon as i got to vegas i checked it to see if it was a little warm and it wasnt. but since he fixed it. i havent had any problems yet.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

rgginger:
What fusible link was bad. I am pretty sure I might check that next. Same mileage as mine basically. Great insight.

Quick Reply: problem with fuel pump relay