Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 7:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Programming a key fob for different Silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2012, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming a key fob for different Silverado

I just purchased a different 06 Silverado as I totaled my old one. Can I re-program my old key fob to work with this truck? If so, how do I go about doing that? Would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Menz
Old March 23rd, 2012, 4:47 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The old fob should be able to be matched to the new vehicle; however, you will have to visit your local dealer. Remember to bring any remaining fobs that you would like matched. Once the dealer has coded the new fob(s), it will no longer work with the old vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four fobs matched to it.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Menz,

If your dealer locale is a problem, a good lock smith can do this service. Some are even moble.

My $.02.

Last edited by skeeter5; March 24th, 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

youtube it "gm key fob reprogram"free easy to do
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Patricia:
Thanks for the heads up on the YouTube video. Reprogramming took about a minute.
Just want to add that I asked a local automotive repair shop if they could re-program my key fob. They said it would take about a half hour and cost about $30.00. Thanks again.
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was me lol I was on my girls name lol posted to fast but no problem google and YouTube are gods lol
Old March 26th, 2012, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Quick question, does the key fob HAVE to be from another Silverado or can it be a key fob with a lock and unlock and panic button from a GM truck?

RitualJman
Old March 26th, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RitualJman
Quick question, does the key fob HAVE to be from another Silverado or can it be a key fob with a lock and unlock and panic button from a GM truck?

RitualJman
I assume your talking about your 99 so if the GMC was a 99-01.
GM also used different remotes on some 1999 and 2000 models.
You could compare the #'s on the back.

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was told theres numbers in glove box you have to match idk i dont have a key fob yet i guessing it has to be the same kinda and a gm one
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Doug Roberts
That was me lol I was on my girls name lol posted to fast but no problem google and YouTube are gods lol
Thanks Doug, I was just about to suggest but thought about reading threads and you already covered it. How strange @ the suggestion's you get, and it's so simple. I went through the same problem, went to Dealer to program, they tried several times with no luck, finally hooked their computer reader and said they would have to remove the dash and look for problem, NOT.....I came home, went on line, took a "BOBBY PIN" followed their direction's and in less than a minute it was done. Sometimes I think the Dealer thinks were totally ignorant and gullable and will soak up all the charges. Good work guy's and travel safe.
david

Quick Reply: Programming a key fob for different Silverado