Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Pull to left and some shake

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull to left and some shake

2002 Silverado 4x4, 220,000 mi...recently went through and had my sons replace a lot of parts on the front end of my truck when the pull and shake started (though originally it pulled right).
First I replaced a wheel hub (for the second time in 6 mo- the other one was also replaced within last couple years), took him in for alignment after and they said one of the outer tie rods were going, upper and lower ball joints on both sides were ranging between very worn and shot (cautioned me against even driving home)....so I replaced all those (even though I had replaced uppers with A arms, lowers, pitman and idler arms and all tie rods within the last year or so- some of the parts were from online with no warranty, so not real surprised) after I got a second opinion that they were indeed bad. I also replaced inner tie rods while I was at it. I was able to get the warranty replacement on the parts I bought from Advanced and this time went with next step up for price, though I suspect it was the unknown manufactured parts that caused the premature wear on the other parts. Took it back for alignment and was told they could not get it...apparently son had not turned the wheel straight when he put on one set of tie rods (he did tell me this when he was finished and hoped it would still be ok to align). OK, had oldest son taken them off and put them back on after straightening wheel. Took it back...still could not get it. They looked closer and realized it was a different size. Took the part back and had son put on the right one. OK...now it was able to be aligned. Still pulled- but shake was gone. Assumed radial pull, since front tires were worn unevenly. Yesterday, I went and got a full set of used tires (at this point I cannot afford new ones), now pulled left. Today took him back in to get aligned (warranty for 6 mo on alignment), saw specs...it was off when I brought it in (3 weeks after original alignment) and now straight...drove off and still pull to left and faster I go it is harder to keep him in middle of lane, had a hard time at 65 today...which is a big problem as he prefers to go 70 ...and I tend to drive at 85 or more on highway. The pull is not only when braking...it is when driving. When I hit a bump steering feels looser. I used to be able to drive him with one finger and faster I went, steering was easier, now I am finding myself having to grip the wheel quite often and it is making me nervous. I know he needs shocks (on my list after this is solved), but I would not think that would cause the issue. Suggestions on what to try next?
Old May 9th, 2012, 8:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slow down save lives and gas
But you can check idler arm may be bent or offline a tooth wheel tread can do it too
Old May 10th, 2012, 3:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Doug I will check that.
BTW I get better gas mileage when I speed...I have measured it as I travel for work and for dentist...if I slow down I wind up spending more for gas.
Old May 10th, 2012, 7:35 PM
CF Veteran

check your idler and pitman arms, sounds like they were the only things not replaced and I would also recommend a different alignment shop they don't sound very savy, straightening the steering wheel is part of the alignment so unless your son was WAY and i mean WAY off on a tie rod they should have had no problems, a pull at highway speeds is normally a tire or alignment problem(possible worn parts)
Old May 11th, 2012, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

The idler arms and pitman arms were replaced about a year ago....maybe a little less. Yes, when I took it in this last time after tires they said tires will not throw off an alignment and thought I had replaced another part and did not want to honor the 6 mo warranty on the alignment...argued with them that the parts had all been replaced before the the last alignment. Going to switch front tires today.
Old May 11th, 2012, 9:13 PM
CF Veteran

tires wont effect the actual alignment but they could have a wear pattern or memory that would cause the pull after the alignment was corrected. First thing I do after an alignment if theres a pull at all is swap front tires and drive it again and it usually fixes the problem
Old August 20th, 2012, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Update- Driving down the highway about a month ago started getting a bad shake. Busted belt on that no one previously detected finally made itself known. Replaced both rear tires and he drives just fine again.