Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Replacing rear sliding window

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2010, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear sliding window

Anyone had problems with the rear sliding window in there trucks. Mine has started to fall out and it appears that it is glued in. I havent taken it out yet, but was looking for some advice if anybody has done this . Its a 98 1500 the rear window is an OEM window not aftermarket. What adhesive do you use to replace this? Is it the same as you use for the windshield? Are there any tricks that any members can share? This truck is actually my 16 yr. olds truck so his budget is pretty limited,thats why we dont just call a glass co. to fix it. Besides he needs to learn that you can do things yourself, with a little information. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Old February 27th, 2010, 7:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know the same thing happened to me when i first got the truck... course i installed 2 kicker 12 inch subs and blasted those things like no other... that caused the rear window to tear the glue... I went to the parts store, got a bottle of clear silicone adhesive. went ahead and pried the window away from the body panels where i could, laid a fat bead in and pressed it for a long time. and went around anywhere i could lay a bead in. You could in fact take the whole thing off, clean the heck out of the window and remove the old glue and put in the new proper window glue, i wanted to do that but kinda lazy at the time... but yeah. try that. it worked for me so far for 2 years.
Old February 27th, 2010, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done it, but watched them installed a few times. I would carefully remove the window, thoroughly clean it and the opening. get the proper adhesive from a parts store, and maybe ask a local glass guy, or go online for instructions as to the gluing part. Once installed, they always used masking tape all around the outside perimeter to help hold it during the curing process. I would NOT do it in real cold weather, adhesive will not cure right. Also, leave one of the windows slightly down, so when you close the door you don't "pop" the back window out. After 24hrs. the adhesive should be set and you can remove the tape. Good luck.