Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

question about tranny removal

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2014, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about tranny removal

i am going to be removing my 2002 automatic tranny Alldata tells me to remove torque converter bolts before separating the transmission for the engine, is there only one that i can thru the bell housing access plug or will i have to turn the engine over with the starter to get the other ones if there is more them one? also i am replacing the rear seal, i have seen two ways of doing it, one is to remove the retainer plate and install the seal and replace the retainer plate with the seal installed and the other says to install retainer plate and use the special tool to press the seal into the retainer plate, what way is better...actually easiest
thanks jeff

Last edited by jeff262; March 13th, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old March 14th, 2014, 8:58 AM
CF Senior Member

To unbolt those torque converter bolts, it has a good window when you remove starter and plastic piece around starter. If I remember correctly it will be 3 bolts. All you have to be able to do is put truck in neutral and I was doing a motor swap when I did this so I could get to crank, but if the belt is off and you have a good grip, you can turn turn the crank so that you can get those other bolts.

AS for the rear main seal, I have not personally done one, but I would think to try and use the specialty tool if you feel like buying it and putting that seal in while the retainer plate is still on the truck. Just seems easier to me.
Hope this helped you a bit. Trans converter bolts with two people, one jamming fly wheel and one getting those bolts out is an easy job.
Old March 15th, 2014, 3:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 converter bolts, use a long flat head to turn the flywheel, don't have to get your hand all jacked up in there to turn it then. They may be Allen head bolts, if so you're in for a treat. I recommend gettin the updated ones from gm, they have an actual bolt head around them with Allen head inside instead of rounded with Allen head inside
Old March 18th, 2014, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks I got the main seal replaced, all data was wrong thought it says to go thru the bell housing plug to remove the converter bolts, it actually the starter hole. The fel pro main seal seems a little light weight compared to the factory one.