Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Ram air, worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram air, worth it or not?

I've spent the majority of my summer working on getting my 81' chevy scottsdale running (86-88 350 w/ Edelbrock 4bbl performer series 600cfm carb and TM-1 Edelbrock intake manifold) and now I'm wanting to do things that may actually improve performance so I was thinking about doing a ram air hood. Would this provide a noticeable performance increase or would it not be noticeable at all or even hinder performance and not be worth it?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 5:32 PM
CF Active Member

Ram air or cowl hoods on a '81 is going to be for looks only unless you can fab up a way to seal the air cleaner to the bottom of the air intake on the hood. If you seek better performance then look to a better cam and head set-up. Add headers with 2 1/4"-2 1/2" dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers. If you want performance then work on the engine cause the hood is only going to change the look of the truck.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I was planning to fab something to seal the air cleaner to the bottom of the air intake on the hood (which I was also planning on doing my self as well). The guy I bought the truck from had 3" headers on it, but for some reason welded on 2 1/4" pipes, so I'm also planning to welding to put on the full 3" pipes. I have to double check what kind of mufflers I have on. I probably wont be changing out the cam anytime soon since I'm still recovering from my "get the truck running well" expenses. Thanks for the input.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 8:37 PM
CF Active Member

Leave the 2 1/4" pipes on there. 3" pipes will kill power not add it. Your motor sounds pretty much stock and in NO WAY NEEDS A 3" exhaust system. If you insist on changing anything on the exhaust, add an "H" pipe to it. Also some food for thought.... To buy a ram air or cowl hood and have it professionally painted will cost as much or more than a better cam and a set of Vortec heads. If you get the heads from Scoggin Dickies you could still use your current intake and valve covers on the Vortec heads. Now your talkin 50 horsepower or more fairly easy. Try getting that from ram air for the same money.
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated. I may look into new heads (but probably wont be buying any since, like I said, I'm still trying to pay down other truck debt), currently it has late 80's 305 heads on it (installed by the previous owner) and I'll keep the pipes the diameter they are now. With the ram air, I was just trying to think of something fairly cheap and simple I could do my self (i.e. not buying a ram air hood and having it professionally installed), that, if nothing else, would at least get more and cooler air into the carb and provide some benefit, I just didn't know how much it could help, of if it would hurt it at all.