Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Rear Assit Not Working??

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Assit Not Working??

I am getting a message rear assist needs service upon start up what does this mean and how do I fix it?? I know it involves the sensors in the bumper but I cannot see any problems?
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> btlaing,

If the message displays, there may be a problem with the system.

When the System Does Not Seem to Work Properly

- The driver disables the system.

- The parking brake pedal is depressed.

- The ultrasonic sensors are not clean. Keep your vehicle’s rear bumper free of mud, dirt, snow, ice and slush.

- A trailer was attached to your vehicle, or a bicycle or an object was hanging out of your tailgate during your last drive cycle, the red light may illuminate in the rear display. Once the attached object is removed, URPA will return to normal operation.
- A tow bar is attached to your vehicle.

- The vehicle’s bumper is damaged. Take the vehicle to your dealer/retailer to repair the system.

- Other conditions may affect system performance, such as vibrations from a jackhammer or the compression of air brakes on a very large truck.

If the system is still disabled, after driving forward at least 15 mph take your vehicle to your dealer for service.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service